Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Combined Nuchal test results at C&W Hospital?

(14 Posts)
varmit Sat 26-Sep-09 10:12:06

Hi. Does anyone know whether you get the results of the combined Nuchal scan and blood test on the same day at the Chelsea and Westminster? I have friends who've had the test at other hospitals and had the results on the same day, but I'm sure I was told that I had to wait five days for the results at the C&W. This seems an awful long time to wait and I'm wondering if I heard it right. I'll call on Monday to check, but just wondering if anyone here knows? I have the test next Friday.
Thanks very much.

EldonAve Sat 26-Sep-09 10:28:52

bumping for you
does it not say in the info from the hosp?

varmit Sat 26-Sep-09 10:35:11

Hi Eldon, I've just had a rummage through all the stuff they gave me and can't see it anywhere no. Hopefully someone here's had it done recently and can tell me.

EldonAve Sat 26-Sep-09 14:50:24

Does it say how long your scan appt will take?

At St Thomas' they make you wait for the blood results before the scan so the whole thing takes about 90 mins iirc

varmit Sat 26-Sep-09 18:03:31

There's no info about how long it will take either. Last time I had the nuchal scan they didn't offer the combined test, so this is a new system at the C&W, maybe that's why it's not as efficient as other hospitals. I'll call Monday morning anyway, and find out a bit more about it. Thanks for your help.

rightsaidfred Sun 27-Sep-09 22:12:31

Hi,
I have my test at C and W on Thursday!
If I remember correctly from last time it was about a week for the result of the combined test and it came in the post. They said they phone through the result if the risk is high, so essentially no news is good news. However we did ask for the measurement on the day and the sonographer told us, It was about 1 I think and I remember feeling reasonably relaxed about the combined result after that.
Good luck!

varmit Mon 28-Sep-09 08:33:05

Thanks for that, it is a long time to wait isn't it! I wonder why other hospitals are so much better at giving results on the same day? I'll do what you did, and ask the sonographer for the measurement I think. Gulp!

Good luck with your test too!

Kingsroadie Mon 28-Sep-09 13:06:44

Hi

I am 30 weeks. Had combined test at C&W. They told me at the scan that the measurement was "normal" and then I had the blood test afterwards and the results came through the post a while later (a week or so at least). Obv postal strikes not ideal at the moment - have recently had GTT and have been told that if I don't hear all is fine but given that Royal Mail have been on strike for most of September I don't know whether to assume all is fine or not!

Good luck.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Mon 28-Sep-09 14:52:40

I went to Fetal Medicine Centre and got the results on the same day. Cost £150 and worth every penny. Went for 12 week scan at C+W 2 days later and they didn't do another test. From looking at the results they said that this test was more detailed anyway. Good luck.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Mon 28-Sep-09 14:56:58

I just wanted to add that a couple of times now I've been told that if I don't hear the results of tests to assume all is fine and in both instances the test results had been lost - where in the process I don't know. With my first dd it was the results of the Guthrie test - and I was particularly concerned about this as there is a history of Cystic Fibrosis in the family. With my current pregnancy they lost the results of the urine test which was done after my first midwife's appointment so with C+W I would always press to have a copy of the results - fine or otherwise.

Kingsroadie Mon 28-Sep-09 15:55:11

extremelychocolateymilkroll - you are my C&W guru! I will check re the GTT results - probably a bit much to assume that the midwives would ring me if the results were less than positive...!

noeysmum Mon 28-Sep-09 21:48:54

Hello
First ever post so hope I've got it right!

I had the combined test at C&W on Weds, 2nd Sept and am still waiting for the results..... I too was told that they would receive the results in a couple of days and if there was a high risk I would be called, otherwise I would receive a letter in about two weeks. Given there is a postal strike I held on for an additional week and called them last week but was told they couldn't tell me over the phone (odd considering they were going to ring me if the result was high risk) so I was to wait anther week and ring back then if I still hadn't heard. I have my 16 week appointment this Thursday so if I still haven't received anything I assume I'll get them then.

Not ideal, pretty frustrating and potentially worrying but I'm trying to remain "zen" about it for the moment as there is still a long way to go and I don't want to get too wound up - but I can't pretend I'm impressed.

varmit Tue 29-Sep-09 13:16:25

Thanks for this everyone. I will await the results of the nuchal on Friday, and then decide whether to go privately or not. It's obviously not a great system at the C&W, disappointing.

noeysmum - I hope your results are good when you do finally get them. You've been incredibly patient!

extremelychocoIatey - I am very tempted to go to the Fetal Medicine Centre, it's interesting to hear their test is more detailed too.

Here's hoping all will be well.

MumNWLondon Tue 29-Sep-09 21:59:01

I have my nuchal scan at the Royal Free, and they say they will call within 3-4 days if there is a problem but if OK will take 2 weeks by post!!!! Not ideal, also will be 13 weeks when I have scan and not sure whether we should wait another 2 weeks before we tell people?

I agree about missing results has happened to me before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now