Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Needle stabbing pains in nipples

(2 Posts)
NewbeeMummy Fri 25-Sep-09 13:53:32

Sorry if this is TMI....

I've recently noticed I'm having really sharp stabbing pains in my nipples, almost as if someone is sticking tiny little needles in them.

I've also noticed that at the same time my leaking seems to have stopped altogether, I normally couldn't go an hour without a pad in otherwise I would have to little streams down the front of my top, but now I check my pads and they're bone dry all day.

This has been going on for a few days now, and I'm seeing my GP on Tuesday anyway, but is this normal?

I'm 36+2 if that makes any difference

Mummy369 Fri 25-Sep-09 22:06:34

It is completely normal for your breasts and nipples to be tender and sensitive during pregnancy and this may simply be a strong reaction to your nipples brushing against your clothing. Reassuring wink

However, there is also the possibility ou may have developed blocked nipple pores or blocked milk ducts. Alternatively, you may have Thrush. I suggest you speak to your midwife or telephone one of the national Breastfeeding Support Lines. If you are planning to breastfeed your baby, it's really important to get this problem identified (and treated if necessary). If you are planning to bottle-feed you will find the problem will probably go away of its own accord within a week or 2 of giving birth - when all the pregnancy hormones have disappeared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now