Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Horrible bitter taste when eating

(7 Posts)
PracticalCat Fri 25-Sep-09 13:10:00

I'm 17 weeks and for the last three days whenever I eat anything, I get this horrible bitter taste in my mouth. The only things I can bear to eat are really strong flavours: chillies, pickles, crisps etc to drown it out. Vegetables and good things have become inedible. Cooked tomato is especially disgusting.

I've heard of a metallic taste in early pregnancy but not this bitter taste in the second trimester. Anyone else experience this? How can I make it go away?

nomorebooze Fri 25-Sep-09 15:55:23

food has generally been an issue for me to! like you veg is inedible, however fruit is back on the menu again, my problem is crisps and choccie are to nice! i find curry, and strong flavours make me gag! dont think you will make it go away it will just happen, hopefully!!!!!

Pinkjenny Fri 25-Sep-09 15:56:53

I'm now 26 weeks and this is just starting to ease off a little, although I still get it after certain foods.

It's vile, isn't it? Can't offer anything but sympathy. Granny Smith apples and a glug of Gaviscon work for me. grin

Tomatefarcie Fri 25-Sep-09 19:07:30

I get that inbetween meals. (am 25 weeks pg).

It's disgusting.

I keep drinking peppermint tea to try and get rid of it.

As opposed to you, when I eat is the only time this awful taste isn't in my mouth.

I don't know what it is due to, would be glad to find out!

(I've tried Rennies, but God, someone should have warned me it feels like chewing chalk! yuk!)

newarrival Fri 25-Sep-09 19:54:42

I'm now 29 weeks & really sympathise with you, however you should find that it should start to get a bit better soon. My eating has been a nightmare throughout my preg. (I usually have a very good appetite! & have actually lost weight).

I can't eat anything with strong flavours - everything has to be bland/simple.... in the beginning all I was drinking was coca cola. I couldn't eat fruit or veg in the first trimestre without feeling sick etc. Now that I'm in my 3rd trimestre I am however eating much better and can manage fruit and veg now at last!

TMD Sat 03-Oct-09 11:59:00

Hi I am 18+2 weeks and experience the same thing! Iv'e tried everything but nothing works! I was 64Kg at start of preg and only 66.5kg now one good thing is I'll have less to shed after. I crave food but not enjoying it when i get it. THINK WE'LL HAVE TO JUST STICK IT OUT!!!!sad nothing like this in my frist pregnancy so bit of a shock! shock

xx

3littlefrogs Sat 03-Oct-09 12:09:08

Have you eaten pine nuts recently? If so, that is the cause and it will go after about 2 - 3 weeks.

If not, then no advice I am afraid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now