Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hmm..... so anybody got any ideas what the hell kind of funny labour this is?

(5 Posts)
Belle100 Fri 25-Sep-09 09:17:51

I am 39 weeks and I woke up Wednesday night with really strong period type cramps and back ache. This soon developed into quite strong contractions about 6 minutes apart so I woke my husband up and he got all excited.

Then the contractions eased off for a bit, although I was still getting cramps.

Then they started up again, and carried on with this on/off pattern well into Thursday afternoon.

By the end of Thursday, they had tailed off completely and I slept fine all night. Woke up this morning and still nothing apart from some strong Braxton Hicks.

This is my 2nd baby and I am absolutely positive the contractions I was getting on Wednesday were the 'real' type. It was a proper intense squeezy pain. Totally different sensation to even the strongest of the Braxton Hicks.

I didn't have any of this on/off contractions with my first so I have no idea what to expect now. Am I slowly going into labour or not? It's been well over 12 hours now since I've had any significant pain.

Any experience / advice would be very much appreciated. I am wondering whether I should pop into the hospital and get the baby's heartrate monitored for a couple of hours.

AntdamnTheDM Fri 25-Sep-09 09:43:02

I have no advice or experience, but if you are feeling anxious. it wouldn't hurt to ring mw or hospital to see if someone can check you and baby over.

Make sure your overnight bag is in the car wink

lisa85 Fri 25-Sep-09 14:22:01

was gonna post exact same message, also second baby, also 39 weeks started Wednesday eased off, came back last night and were about every 10 minutes till i got out of bed this morning now i'm lucky if i get more than 2 in one hour.
what the hell is going on with us???????

caughtintheact Fri 25-Sep-09 14:31:59

this happened to me and it did my head in! you have my sympathy- I think my body just takes ages to get into established labour, when it finally did it went very quickly though.

I think it might be partly psychological - are you worried about child care for dc1 for eg? you have to be READY!! (yeah right as if anyone ever is...)

what may have helped get me going was:
-a sweep (midwife said can be really helpful in these circs) one at 40 + 5 then another when admited to hosp 2 days later when only 2cm dilated (gave birth less than 2hrs later!)
-ate a whole pineapple
-tried to walk loads

midwife recommended sex but I was having contractions every evening and definately wasn't in the mood!

CakeForBreakfast Fri 25-Sep-09 14:53:05

Hi Belle100 and lisa85,

Sounds imminent.

This was what it was like for my first labour too (currently 34weeks with dc2 but all quiet).

What you describe went on for almost 3 days with me, I filled up almost an entire notebook with 'contraction' timings, but everytime I either slept or took a walk, they bloody went away. Was so annoying.

I rang the labour ward asking pretty much what you have - i.e. what the hell kind of labour is this, am I or aren't I!? They just said prelabour and it can go on for over a week! Thankfully, after 3 days my waters broke with a big pop and a gush so that decided it for me, but when I was examined at the hospital they said although I wasn't much dilated I was already 100% effaced! So I guess thats what all the prelabour on/off bits were doing.

Anyway. Am thinking of you, sounds like lovely babies soon...

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now