Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

should I pop in to see gp and check for ketones?

(7 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 25-Sep-09 08:45:53

I am so bad at making decisions these days.

I was diagnosed with UTI on monday by gp. On I had pre-planned consultant appt, who confirmed proteins in urine, also said ketones were +++, probably due to being sick as a result of vomitting, although not sick that day and keeping some fluids down. Not sick on wednesday (had managed to keep down an anti-emetic taken as directed by gp).

Yesterday I held down one meal and a little fluid, not a lot. Today I had a sip of water and vomitted again. I think it is my HE reoccurring as I feel much better in terms of the UTI (on antibiotics).

Generally, don't feel very good overall, not really bad, not 100%. But wee is dark.

Should I pop over to see gp for ketones check or just see if I can hold down some water and an anti-emetic this morning? I am 32 weeks, not sure if it is more urgent now than when I was say 17 weeks?

belgo Fri 25-Sep-09 08:48:40

Are you being treated for the UTI? If you have dark urine, then you could still have the UTI. For that reason, I think you should go back to the GP because UTIs during pregnancy should be treated.

And of course you need to be keeping fluids down.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 25-Sep-09 09:11:40

Belgo - yes, I am on amoxylin, been taking it since tuesday, feel better in terms of UTI, less backache, not so sore down below, not needing to go to the loo 3 times a night.

I have made an appt, as its going to be the weekend, so if I feel worse it will mean emergency gp and I would prefer to be told all is fine/not fine whatever today by my own gp.

belgo Fri 25-Sep-09 09:54:51

I think that's a good idea. Hope you are feeling better soon.

ksld Fri 25-Sep-09 10:00:16

I think (am not medical - just had HE and lots of UTIs while pregnant) that the amoxycillin is probably upsetting your stomach hence the vomiting again. But UTI is bad for baby, so you have to get that cleared up. You are doing the right thing seeing the Dr, much nicer to see your own Dr who has treated you already than explaining all to someone else when you feel like crap...

Am sure you have tried all the different things that can work for HE? Ice cubes/lollies/scalding hot drinks? Keep on drinking won't you? Hope you feel better soon.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 25-Sep-09 12:14:56

thanks. Had a major panic after vomiting blood, gp said its all part of uti, torn lining of stomach, given me some drugs to help reduce acid and some suppository anti-emetics. Fingers crossed will feel better soon too.

belgo Fri 25-Sep-09 12:25:10

That's nasty. I also vomited blood during pregnancy - the doctor said it was Mallory Weiss syndrome - tears in the oesophagus from persistant or violent vomiting. It gave me a lot of pain.

Hope the vomiting stops and you are feeling better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now