Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Was the sex of your child what you really wanted , happy to find out at scan?or wait for surprise?

(30 Posts)
Mama2b5 Thu 24-Sep-09 22:06:35

Hi i'm awaiting confirmation of the sex of my baby i'm 22 weeks,i did'nt for my other 2 but on the 3rd want to, some of my friends have found out already due to the timing of their 1st scan!shockenvy i have to wait for my 2nd even though im further on then they are! that's sucks a bit! Pls tell me did you find out or did you wait!

SardineQueen Thu 24-Sep-09 22:11:51

I love a surprise ! Have had 2 surprises so far... Both girls, had no preference either time.

But my friends like to know the sex.

Do what you want to do, there is no right or wrong!

pippel Thu 24-Sep-09 22:14:59

I had one dd already and wanted a boy so I wanted to find out at the 20 week scan, because I didn't want to be disappointed at the birth

she had her legs crossed

I found out at a 34 week scan but by the time she was born I dont think that I would have cared either way anyway

Heated Thu 24-Sep-09 22:15:05

I didn't find out with either of my two and they were secretly what I wanted (a boy followed by a girl) but hale and healthy was the no 1 wish. We really did want to wait as I love the anticipation of a surprise.

We're possibly ttc for a 3rd (don't ask!) but, like you, we are more likely to find out the sex this time for practical reasons e.g. getting rid of clothes and sorting out rooming, although tbh, both could wait until after it is born.

LadyOfTheFlowers Thu 24-Sep-09 22:18:08

We found out every time, and every time twas a boy.
Am now preg with no.4 and DH is eager to find out but I think I would like to have a suprise (of another boy! lol) just once....

flyingcloud Fri 25-Sep-09 07:03:44

We're keeping it a surprise. Most people we know have found out, but those who haven't have said that the anticipation, surprise and relief is a wonderful feeling.

We have no preference either, a happy, healthy baby is the only thing we're hoping for.

Do what you think is best.

esselle Fri 25-Sep-09 07:09:10

I am pg with DC3 atm and will be having my 20wk scan next week.

We have decided to not find out and have a surprise this time as we found out both other times with DD and DS.

Dh and I figure that as we have one of each already the babies sex doesn't matter this time at all and a surprise will be nice.

IdrisTheDragon Fri 25-Sep-09 07:25:54

Didn't want to find out with DS.

With DD, we did ask, but she crossed her legs at the appropriate moment. Am actually glad we didn't find out.

beanstalk Fri 25-Sep-09 07:38:03

I found out both times and am glad I did, it helped us to prepare. And it is still a surprise whether you find out at 20 weeks or 40 weeks. For me, a baby coming out of my fanjo is more than enough surprise for one day : o

Kayzr Fri 25-Sep-09 07:40:58

I did with both of mine and I will with any others we have.

With DS1 I really wanted a boy and decided to find out because I couldn't stand the waiting!

Mama2b5 Sat 26-Sep-09 01:43:36

Thanks for sharing,i do believe that its a personal choice and myself and DH wanted to find out due to having 2 DD, so we wanted to be prepared. im glad we found out so i can get used to the idea before giving birth! smile

savoycabbage Sat 26-Sep-09 04:29:01

It's still a surprise if you find out at the scan though. It's the same information, on a different day.

HappyBump Sat 26-Sep-09 05:23:29

We found out at our 20 week scan. We had found out with DS1 so it was natural for us to find out again. We are having another boy and I am delighted. For us it really didn't matter. Although my DH was convinced it was going to be a girl so although I had a feeling it was a boy I assumed he might somehow "know" (I guessed girl first time round) ... he was right first time round! We did some of the gender predictor tests just for fun and most said girl too! Just goes to show it's a 50/50 chance! grin

As the others have said, it is totally up to you to find out and it is a surprise whenever you find out, after all you didn't know the information before, did you?

brightonbleach Sat 26-Sep-09 10:22:17

we would have waited for a surprise, its our 1st, but due to scans every fortnight due to gestational diabetes we found out at a 26weeks scan due to him waving his 'equipment' very clearly around on the screen blush !!!! and we were very happy to find its a boy, we had no preference at all, just health like most of us, but its actually nice to know now, and prepare, and name him something other than 'it' during pregnancy. 35+3, can't wait to meet him!

congrats and best of luck!

rubyslippers Sat 26-Sep-09 10:23:33

DS - we had a surprise

DC2 - due in a week ... waiting for another surprise

if you want to know, then find out ... no right or wrong about it, just want is right for you

whensmydayoff Sat 26-Sep-09 14:14:26

IMHO I think it's fine to find out if you really honestly don't care. As everyone say's, it's a surprise at 20 weeks or 40 weeks, doesn't matter.
If however, you have a secret hankering for a particular sex, there's a 50% chance you won't be happy at a 20 week scan.
If you wait to find out, the moment the baby, whatever sex, is in your arms - too late - your in love and the sex preference is now not an issuewink.

BexieID Sat 26-Sep-09 20:16:57

With Tom, I wanted a boy and could think of more boys names. This time i'd like a girl and can think of more girls names, guess i'll find out soon.

Mama2b5 Sat 26-Sep-09 21:41:18

happybump, brightonbleach - it seems it a season for boys! im so happy and it was my and my DH hearts desire and my dearly parted mum for a granson, so now shes not here to share this with me i know shes smiling and is watching over us with a biggrin

Mama2b5 Sat 26-Sep-09 21:43:29

Rubyslippers- good luck i hope you have a swift and painless birth, i want mine to be down to a hour! girl or boy its going to be beautiful xx wink

Mama2b5 Sat 26-Sep-09 21:45:23

BexieID - when r u due is it soon?

BlackLetterDay Sat 26-Sep-09 21:55:26

Haven't found out with any of mine (pg with dc3) not through choice but tight lipped hospitals. I would have asked at each scan as I'm an impatient bunny at the best of times, but also too tight to pay for a sexing scan grin.

Had a girl first and wanted a girl, wasn't really bothered either way with dc2 but thought I saw boy bits at a scan and he was indeed a boy. Have had about 8 scans with this baby but haven't managed to see anything definitive in the downstairs department, although the sonographer had called it "he" at 2 of the scans, so I'm assuming boy for now, although again not really bothered either way.

HeadFairy Sat 26-Sep-09 21:59:14

Found out with ds... really happy because I couldn't think of any girls names I liked

Now pg with dc 2 and found out at 22 week scan that we're having a girl, but I've had more time to think of names now. Happy either way really, another boy would have been lovely as I love little boys, they're super cute. However, this way I will get to be mother of the bride Very trivial reason I know! Looking forward to finding out how different girls are to boys... and dd will be so lucky having a big brother like ds, he's going to be a fab big brother!

BexieID Sat 26-Sep-09 22:13:56

I'm due xmas day, 13 weeks yesterday! grin

Mama2b5 Sun 27-Sep-09 15:01:06

hi blackletterday - yeh some hospitals dont want to tell mums for all sort of reasons, but thats abit unfair if you want to know! i guess you couldnt of gone to another hospital! now we have the right to choose any hospital and not the local one to us,although i have moved since my last child so we give this hospital a chance! wink

well said headfairy!

good luck on the next 13 weeks - bexieID wink

Gateau Mon 28-Sep-09 10:33:24

I didn't find out with DS! And I haven't found out definitively with DC2 (due in 3.5 weeks). However I asked the mw last week if she could tell what gender by the heartbeat and she said it sounded like a boy, but added that it wasn't a proven fact. Am sorry I asked; not because I don't want another boy but because I really want it to be a surprise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now