Talk

Advanced search

I'm sure this has been done before but any recommendations for good maternity trousers?

(18 Posts)
somethinganything Thu 24-Sep-09 21:20:41

Have dug out all my trousers from last pregnancy and the TopShop ones (i.e. with the 'discreet' side panels not full-on pregnancy pouch) look just about alright but aren't that comfortable due to CS scar. The comfortable ones from last pregnancy (i.e. fully elasticated with the pregnancy pouch thang) are downright horrible, shapeless with saggy arse etc - don't know what I was thinking frankly. Also they keep slipping down.

Please tell me about your good maternity trouser experiences. JoJo Maman Bebe seem to have a quite big range judging by the catalogue pix but who can tell from a picture what they are really like. Any ideas?

Or is a stylish and comfortable maternity trouser a bit too much to hope for?

cleanandclothed Thu 24-Sep-09 21:25:36

Formes. Quite expensive but ebay is a good place to look for them.

LackingNicknameInspiration Thu 24-Sep-09 23:05:17

My best pair of jeans ever (not just maternity ones) came from Blooming Marvellous - really comfy and good as new second time round - they have an adjustable waist but otherwise look pretty normal - I did find I need a belt with them though. I also got 2 pairs of jersey trousers from them - have a highly unflattering looking stretchy jersey panel, but can't be seen under tops and they are sooooo comfy.

On the flip side, I bought a pair of 3/4 length ones from M&S last time and just cannot get them to stay up - gave up in the end (by which I mean I didn't wear them, rather than just allowing them to fall down...)

Have only bought tops/nightwear from Jojomaman so can't comment on the trousers, but been very pleased with the PJs.

bitofadramaqueen Thu 24-Sep-09 23:20:39

I got some black wide leg trousers for work from jojomamanbebe. I wore them constantly throughout my pregnancy - machine washable and they dried quickly! I don't think they were particularly expensive - maybe about 30 quid?

somethinganything Fri 25-Sep-09 09:07:04

Great, thanks ladies - will have a look at the above online

LackingNickname relieved to hear you didn't spend your pregnancy wandering round in your knickers with M&S trousers round your ankles wink

bitof glad the work trousers were a success - I do find a lot of maternity wear seems to be designed to do yoga and/or have coffee in but not much else

Snowtiger Fri 25-Sep-09 09:12:59

My maternity clothes first time round were horrible, as soon as I had DS I threw the lot of them away!
This time round I've been to Gap and bought some really nice jeans, they fit really well and astonishingly are long enough (I'm 5'10"), and as they have a sale on denim at the moment (til tomorrow, I think) they were only about £20 each.
Gap also had some nice looking work type trousers.
The only maternity trousers I've kept from last time were some jersey wide legged black trousers from Blooming Marvellous which were really comfy although not exactly 'going out' trousers. I lived in them in the last month!

somethinganything Fri 25-Sep-09 09:20:52

Cheers, Snowtiger, Gap maternity clothes never seemed to fit quite right last time round, but that was a couple of years ago and these things change all the time don't they so will try and catch end of sale tomorrow if poss.

OK, really should do some work now...

BertieBotts Fri 25-Sep-09 09:25:16

H&M were my favourite ones. They do casual style ones, jeans and work trousers too. If you have a largish store anywhere near you could go in and try them on?

valbona Fri 25-Sep-09 09:28:30

I was amazed at how nice the mamas&papas jeans were - nearly wept in the changing room I was so relived to find something I felt good in blush

alana39 Fri 25-Sep-09 09:32:27

Mothercare are much better than they used to be - at least they were for this spring / summer and I had a few pair of linen trousers which have lasted to 34 weeks without falling down. Unfortunately I will spend the next month in yoga pants as I can't be bothered to buy new stuff for a few weeks and all 3 pairs of jeans I have just fall down.

Have bought trousers from Jojomamanbebe - but only jeans (under bump, were great from 12-32 weeks then fell down, will be good after pg until can fit in to tolerate normal waistbands again) and yoga trousers with long thing to wrap around waist (great, but probably not what you're looking for). Also the yoga things are quite thin (bamboo maybe?) so not so good for this time of year if you are actually going outdoors!

Oh - and both pairs of trousers I've bought from them have been longer than the advertised leg length (happily for me).

somethinganything Fri 25-Sep-09 09:39:24

I think almost all the above shops have branches in Oxford Circus, which is a relatively short journey for me so shall have to carve out a couple of hours for myself at the weekend and try on a couple of bits. Thanks for the tips all.

Alana39 agree about the last month thing, really not worth buying extra stuff at that point. I kind of felt that about the whole pregnancy, am 18 weeks now and sort of wondered if I could make do for the second half to the pregnancy but then decided that putting on saggy slacks for the next 5 months is going to get me down to much!

woowa Fri 25-Sep-09 16:26:45

If people are tall, try beanpolebumps.co.uk - I'm 6ft and these jeans are comfy, lovely and so long I have to pin them up at the back! Am a very happy tall pregnant person!

cpanda Fri 25-Sep-09 16:47:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Southwestwhippet Fri 25-Sep-09 19:57:28

I love my maternity jeans from H&M. Although I did have to buy them in a size 12 sad when everything else I've bought has been a 10.

hobnob57 Fri 25-Sep-09 22:37:18

I found New Look jeans lasted me quite well into 3rd trimester, but had to invest in some over-bump ones from Next this week to overcome the falling down problem. I would recommend going a size down though. I now see Red Herring jeans from Debenhams also have belt loops which are always handy..

mrswee Sat 26-Sep-09 08:59:16

Gap for me too! best and only trousers I have found to wear during my pregnancy that I like and are comfy.
Have spent to rest of my time in leggings with skirts and dresses.

somethinganything Mon 28-Sep-09 09:54:53

a quick thank you for all the posts. Went shopping on Saturday - tried 2 gaps but neither had sales on or any small sizes left. Settled for another topshop pair in the end - skinny flare, which sounded horrendous but they fit really snugly and are also really comfy. Just coming up to 19 weeks so no probs with bump pushing everything down yet but will report back on whether they last the full 40 weeks...

Deeeja Mon 28-Sep-09 15:57:57

I am overdue and am spending the days in lots of jersey, dresses and leggings. Am so bored of it, but it is comfy.
I can't wait to ditch my maternity wear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now