Talk

Advanced search

Silly question about WI-FI

(6 Posts)
Tomatefarcie Thu 24-Sep-09 18:32:53

Well, as the title says, I am now worried about WI-FI stuff. If the waves go through walls, surely they go through your body too? How do we know they're not harmful?

Wi-Fi hasn't been around that long...
If I do a Wi-Fi search, I get my own, then 2 or 3 neighbours' !

Are all these waves going through me and my baby then??

<paranoid emoticon>

ReneRusso Thu 24-Sep-09 22:15:32

Its not a silly question. I think we are a little complacent about WiFi. I am sitting with my laptop on my lap, at 13 weeks pg, probably not a brilliant idea as I have no idea if its safe or not. Is there any research?

NewbeeMummy Fri 25-Sep-09 08:56:24

I must admit I've had similar concerns as I use wifi if working from home - normally with my laptop on my lap...

I do know that the lo kicks my laptop if it's resting against the bump, but that said she kicks anything that touches the bump (trousers, seatbelts, cats you name it)

I do know a few people have complained of migraines when they had the router in their bedroom, and after having moved it further than 6ft away the migraines stoped. So I have moved the router to as far away as possible from the babies room.

I believe one study said that sitting in a wifi hotspot for 1 year would expose you to the same radiation as a 20 minute mobile phone call.

But as for day to day laptop use I have no idea.

AngelaCarleen Fri 25-Sep-09 09:28:35

I was just wondering about this. I have no idea what the answer is though, although I'd like to think (in my lovely rose-tinted world) that they would have researched it fully before allowing it onto the market [naive emoticon].

Tomatefarcie Fri 25-Sep-09 19:17:50

Glad it's not just me being paranoid! wink

Angela, I'd like to think like you...

TheFallenMadonna Fri 25-Sep-09 19:22:44

Look here.

My Physics classes tackle this question as part of their coursework smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now