Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Diabetes test

(7 Posts)
LissyGlitter Wed 23-Sep-09 18:07:50

I have a blood test first thing tomorrow for gestational diabetes. Not looking forward to two buses and getting lost in the hospital after having no breakfast, and then the possibility of being banned from eating cakes...

What goes on at these tests? Am I right in thinking it somehow involves lucozade? Should I wear something with easy belly access in case they need to have a feel of the baby or is it just all about getting to my arm for the blood? Should I take a picnic to eat as soon as they say I can? Can I have gaviscon when I'm fasting? Should I take DP, or can he be left in front of cbeebies with DD?

I should have probably thought of these questions before the unit shut for the evening...

spongebrainmaternitypants Wed 23-Sep-09 18:09:40

Have you not been given a glucose drink to have before you go?

If not, you'll have a glucose drink at the hospital, then they will take your blood and test it. No exam of the baby, lots of hanging around so take a good book! As soon as you've had the blood test you can eat while waiting for results.

Good luck.

LissyGlitter Wed 23-Sep-09 18:17:07

No glucose drink, just a message on my mobile answerphone telling me my blood sugar is high and to go to the hospital at 9am tomorrow, after fasting from midnight.

Does gaviscon count as food? I hope not, I don't really know how I'd survive without it!

Cyclista Wed 23-Sep-09 18:33:17

I had one the other week - it's very straightforward. You fast after about 9pm although you can drink water. Then you rock up at the hospital when told (8.30 in my case). They immediately take a blood sample. They then gave me a VERY sweet drink, not lucozade but basically a sugar syrup and then I was left to occupy myself for two hours. I organised a work meeting in the canteen ;) Then I went back and they did another blood test. I then went and spent the weekend eating cake in case they said I couldn't ever again!!

I phoned back on the Monday (my test was Friday) and got my results. All good for me. But the test is very straight forward - my only downside was an ENORMOUS bruise as they went twice into the same vein, same part of my arm etc. Don't worry about it at all though.

LissyGlitter Wed 23-Sep-09 20:50:23

Thanks. Looks like DP and DD are coming, so it'll be a little family outing. Not sure if this is wise, but I suppose if I go dizzy on the bus I do need someone with me.

Cyclista Wed 23-Sep-09 21:40:47

I cycled there and back ;) Not sure it was wise in retrospect but was absolutely fine in practise.

Don't worry about it - enjoy the outing.

brightonbleach Thu 24-Sep-09 11:43:58

theres a thread within 'pregnancy' called Gestational Diabetes with several of us on in the same boat, feel free to come for advice/hand holding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now