Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

32 weeks measuring 27 weeks

(6 Posts)
Boblina Wed 23-Sep-09 13:16:30

Hi there, I am not worried but just thought I would check. I have a midwife appointment and as I have a small bump she measured me and I measure 27 weeks. I am not that worried as this is my second and I was small with DS. Well I think so. I was never measure. I can feel the baby move and everything so I am not worried there. I have a scan in a couple of weeks to check the growth of the baby. Why am I so small. I mean I am small myself.

bluefootedpenguin Wed 23-Sep-09 21:22:54

Hello. I had this with my pregnancy and it got ridiculous! depending on who measured me, my chart went up and down. I ended up having late growth scans and was starting to get quite panicked as everyone was telling me I was going to have an incredibly small baby! Scans were fine and I went to 40+5, delivered very healthy baby girl 6lb 8oz. In the early weeks she did her catching up, sometimes putting on a lb a week - not bad for a Bf baby! Personally, I think the charts are a bit useless unless you are the absolute norm. I'm usually a size 8-10, tall and slim. My chart said I should have been having a 9lb baby which I was sure was never going to happen! My MW even told me that the chart was pointless.

katnkittens Wed 23-Sep-09 21:49:18

I am 6 foot and I was summoned for weekly scans as I was 'too small' and my babies (2 of my pregnancies) were not growing properly.
The first time with my son I was even induced at 38 weeks (he was 7lb 10oz).

The second time I was allowed to wait (with weekly scans) and dd2 was 7lb 13oz.

I know loads of people that this has happened to (tall and small).

I know they're just taking precautions but it worried me sick for no reason!

I'm sure everything will be fine,

xx

Boblina Thu 24-Sep-09 13:12:51

Thanks to you both. It makes me feel better to hear from people who have had this. I am usually a size 8 so I did not think that I would be that big when pregnant. Just wanted to check as DS was prem and I am very worried about having another prem baby. I mean he is fine and doing ever so well. If this one follows the same way I shall have n2 next week. So keep your fingers crossed for me that this one stays in a little bit longer. I am not talking 40 plus just another while, full term 37 weeks. I am looking forward to the scan though just to make sure that everything is ok and well I get to see him or her again. Thanks again for your comments.

PanicMode Thu 24-Sep-09 13:27:00

I have had to have growth scans through all three of my pregnancies as they always worry that I'm too small - but I've had three good size babies - 9lbs 8, 8lbs 8 and 8lbs 3!!

Apparently I have a longer body than legs so I manage to tuck them into my abdomen more neatly - or something hmm.

Given that they measure with a tape measure and you may see different MWs each week (I certainly did in London) there are bound to be differences - try not to worry too much!

BlueChampagne Thu 24-Sep-09 13:41:20

I saw my mw yesterday and she said I was measuring too small for dates too, so I'll be getting an extra scan. The tape measure is a very crude measurement, as the others have so wisely said, it depends on your build and how the baby's 'packaged'. DS came out at 3.4kg (7lb 8oz). I am 1.70m (5'8"), size 10 and still doing quite a lot of exercise. You'll get a much more accurate measurement from the scan and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now