Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does low placenta mean no choice but Caesarean?

(5 Posts)
woowa Mon 21-Sep-09 20:31:49

Am 19+4, just had scan. Have low placenta, though I know it is very possible that it will rise as my uterus grows and it is not covering the exit at the moment!

However, just so I am prepared, if it doesn't rise is C-section the only option? Forgot to ask MW.

Thanks

woowa Tue 22-Sep-09 11:03:00

bump

tigger32 Tue 22-Sep-09 14:12:17

Hello woowa, it really depends on how much of the placenta is covering the "exit". If not at all then cs not necessary, if however it is well over the exit then yes cs is the only way to go. I'm presuming the midwife has told you that you will be scanned again around 34 weeks to check on things and a decision will be made then. Good luck

Southwind Tue 22-Sep-09 14:12:47

Hi Woowa

I too had a low lying placenta at my 20 week scan and was told in 95% cases they move up and outta the way. And now Ive just had a 36 week scan and it has moved up outta the way grin

You have a good chance of yours moving as it is only low lying, if it had been placenta previa then these are less likely to move in time.

I was told if it hadnt moved enough, then yes it would be a C-section.

HTH

woowa Tue 22-Sep-09 15:48:59

Thanks, that's really helpful! So, if it doesn't get any lower, things should be ok. Phew!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now