Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When you feel too sick to eat, but the less you eat the worse you feel

(19 Posts)
LilyBolero Mon 21-Sep-09 19:49:29

I'm feeling SO sick - can't eat anything at all. And the less I eat, the worse I feel. Am only 7 weeks pg, and with the last 3 pgs, this went on till about 14 weeks or so. Any bright ideas of miracle cures? I'm feeling really dreadful. sad

oopsacoconut Mon 21-Sep-09 19:54:01

I had this last time too but found that I had to eat something and the best thing seemed to be Ritz crackers or white bread with cheese spread, only a 1/4 of a slice at a time or 1 biscuit. I tried to eat 2 things every hour with a glass of orange high juice squash. there is unfortunately no miracle cure but getting DH to prepare things for me to eat helped so the less I had to do with it the easier it was to eat.

chimchar Mon 21-Sep-09 19:58:03

awww. you poor love. i used to eat tesco finest real orange juice ice lollies...they did the trick in getting sugar in but very slowly...also nice and thirst quenching and really tasty.

after that, i could sometimes manage a piece of white toast and butter or a rich tea biscuit.

i really feel for you...i had terrible sickness with all 3 of my kids. it'll pass. chin up.

butterscotch Mon 21-Sep-09 20:01:29

Yeap I had this with first pregnancy the sickness is 3 or 4 times this time and lasts all day!

I found last time that nibbling on seeds sunflower and pumpkin seeds (used to carry a small box of them in handbag) ohhh mcdonalds double cheeseburger also worked and McCoys salt and vinegar crisps!

this time so far Jam on thick white bread with butter (not marg) helps....I have 3 small breakfasts that seems to be working better for me! I have something when I get up, then when I get to the station I have a raisin swirl then at work I have more toast....generally before lunch I have a bag of crisps...then lunch about 12pm - 12:30pm, then snacking in the afternoon!

I think its a bit trial and error, sometimes I have something and it just doesn't settle and i am sick its horrid when you don't know what you want or what to eat! I would try experimenting with different things!

I'm taking pre-natal vits so I'm not having to worry about where I am getting my vits from!

eastendmummy Mon 21-Sep-09 20:05:46

I'm going through the same thing as you at the moment and it's pretty grim. I find that if I eat before I get out of bed then that often helps - I've got a packet of ginger nut biscuits in my bedside table and they seem to do the trick. Plus get out of bed really slowly so that you don't get a head rush and feel worse.

The only other thing I can recommend is bland food that's high in carbs so you get an energy boost from only eating small amounts. Jacket potatoes and pasta seem to be the only thing I want. Butterscotch's suggestion of seeds is a good one and raisins also seem to help. Oh and loads of toast - I've never eaten so much bread in my life as in the last few weeks!

Hope that helps.

QuietlyTTC Mon 21-Sep-09 20:06:01

ginger bics are sort of helping me

also ginger and lemon tea

tinylion Mon 21-Sep-09 20:10:19

ohhh god, I'm the same here...I'm seven weeks pregnant and feel sick almost all the time.

I feel nauseous most of the day, and really don't fancy much food - not toast and certainly couldn't eat a meal.

I'm drinking lots of water, and I take a "packed tea" smile when I go to bed, as I wake up at 4am feeling really sick. A banana and the Go Ahead yoghurt covered biscuits seem to work, with milk.

This went on for about 16 weeks last time (i have a 2 year old) and I have a horrible taste in my mouth all the time, like something has died in there! Are you really really tired as well?!?

Actually really fancy the icelolly idea...will go out tomorrow and get some!

LilyBolero Mon 21-Sep-09 20:35:03

Thanks, some good ideas to try there. Yes to being tired all the time as well!

I just find I can't eat anything though - about all I can eat is chilled melon. All I've managed to eat today is some fruit. And I feel so rubbish. And I'm cold ALL the time - shaking, shivering! (moan moan moan!).

Thanks for the sympathies!

RubiMama Tue 22-Sep-09 09:57:26

You have my deepest sympathy! I am now 9 weeks and it's getting worse than ever. I find that nibbling marmite on toast helps, something about the salt cuts through the nausea temporarily but I am going out of my mind. What about brushing your teeth, that's supposed to help a bit too especially if you don't feel like eating. I think it's important to eat little and often though because when your blood sugar plumets you can feel loads worse. You are a hero for doing this the 4th time round! This is my second pregnancy and i find the early weeks so hard to handle I keep feeling depressed that it'll be my last baby because I don't think I could go through this again sad !

hotchachachaingbunny Tue 22-Sep-09 10:12:06

It's a few years ago since I went through this, but I remember sucking boiled sweets helped (dreadful for the teeth though!). Also I had biscuits by my bed and would snack on them through the night - dh said it was like sleeping with a hamster, but I think it helped a bit to avoid the low sugar sickness of first thing in the morning.

It's hideous. Poor all of yousad

Boogellyboo Tue 22-Sep-09 11:21:25

I found salt & vinegar snack a jacks helped, something about how strong they are took away the horrid taste in my mouth so I could get them down. (I thought the person who suggested them to me was a loon but it worked) Also biscuits by the bed, try to eat one without even sitting up, wait 5 mins and then attempt sitting up really slowly so no head rush. Haribo sourz were another thing that helped, again extreme flavour to knock other tastes out. Not the healthiest diet but its all I managed until 14 weeks!

LilyBolero Tue 22-Sep-09 12:05:24

Crisps do sound quite tempting. I feel worst of all in the evenings, mornings aren't so bad now. My general pattern in pg is to feel sick 24/7 for about a week, then it settles down to evenings, then at about 11-12 weeks gets worse again to the point where I'm sick constantly through the day for about 4 days, then back to evenings for another 5 weeks or so.

It's rubbish isn't it! I'm DEFINITELY not having any more!!! That is my only comforting thought!

karney Tue 22-Sep-09 13:08:04

I,m 9 wks pg and the nausea and sickness is relentless.I had it pretty bad with my 1st pregnancy but this time it's 24/7 sad. Toast or bread with real butter and pieces of fruit helps ease it if only for a matter of minutes. I,m finding it really tough this time round and most days can't get out of the house. Anyway I,m just a right ol moan a minute here and feeling really sorry for myself.Hopefully it will ease off in the next few weeks.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Tue 22-Sep-09 13:41:13

My first pregnancy cream crackers did the trick. This time only ginger biscuits have helped.

frumpygrumpy Tue 22-Sep-09 13:45:17

I had this too. First time with DD1, it lasted until 12/14 weeks, then with the DTs, it lasted forever.

I managed to get through by (a) drinking water for the early weeks and not worrying about food and then (b) finding one thing I could stomach and just having it over and over until I hated it and could stomach something else.

Things that worked for me:

banana milkshake (lived on them for weeks)
baked potato with nothing on it except salt
bagel
then bagel with cream cheese and chives

Keep searching your head to find a thought of a taste that you think you might managed. Then run to the supermarket and try it! If it works, buy heaps!!!

I was also told ginger helps. I sliced ginger and put a bit in hot water but TBH, I couldn't face it.

Cooch Tue 22-Sep-09 14:56:32

I am 12 weeks now and no sign of the sickness wearing off yet, with my previous 2 pregnancies it wore off around 16/17 wks but was kind of hoping 3rd time round would be better. I can stomach things I couldn't think of last time but also can't bear the thought of some things I had last time so really is trial and error! Only thing that helps is eating little and often and whatever you fancy regardless of nutritional qualities. Really can get you down though eh? Nobody understands unless they have been through it themselves, hard to explain to people. Really envious of anyone who has never felt sick during pregnancy! Feel that once I feel better I can cope with anything, even the birth! Roll-on next few wks.

inveteratenamechanger Tue 22-Sep-09 14:59:33

Poor all of you. It is so vile.

My saviour was the little brioche rolls you can buy in packs of 8 in the supermarket. I lived on them for weeks.

wellieboot Tue 22-Sep-09 20:13:01

Huge sympathies - I am preg too, coming up to 12 weeks and the nausea is finally becoming less intense although I still have bad days. I also had this with my first pregnancy and struggled until about 18 weeks so had psyched myself up for it so in that respect it has been easier. My tips are - give in to it (if you can), don't try and fight it and carry on as normal as you will feel much worse - plenty of time in bed, don't go near the kitchen, have someone bring you food. Foodwise, the following helped me: hot chocolate and cupasoups (depending on whether you can tolerate sweet or savoury), as they last ages and you can sip them slowly to keep their taste in your mouth, mint sweets, fruit, toast and marmite, bananas (in the middle of the night these helped when I couldn't sleep because of feeling sick).

I hope the next few weeks go quickly for you and you feel better soon - it truly is horrible.

baby1onway Tue 22-Sep-09 20:17:58

i remember this feelin- it was awful!! didnt eat 4 3days-or drink.doctor said that i looked well 4 sum1 who hadnt eaten-which did not help 1 bit!!anyway-went and got the seasick bands, they helped so much.from min i put them on i did not vomit once! my bf thinks it may hav been psychological???plain crackers or ginger nut biscs r the best!! feel better.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now