Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

3lbs weight gain in just one week - how possible?

(10 Posts)
VanillaIce Mon 21-Sep-09 15:15:02

By my reckoning I would have had to have consumed an extra 10,500 calories last week for the scales to be showing an extra 3 lbs. That's impossible - I really don't even think I'm eating as much as pre-pregnancy some days thanks to on/off nausea. Certainly not pigging out.

I'm 20 weeks and up until now had gained very little weight and was feeling rather smug then this morning I swear I saw my electronic scales wink and smirk at me as they delivered the verdict. shock

My baby has been moving lots this past week so I'm hoping it's had a growth spurt and that's the reason for the sudden leap in my weight.

Sorry to sound neurotic but 3lbs is a lot, no? Could it be water or something???

rubyslippers Mon 21-Sep-09 15:16:39

your scales are wrong?!

wouldn't overly worry about it TBH ...

VanillaIce Mon 21-Sep-09 15:18:55

No, I think the scales are right unfortunately - I changed the battery not that long ago...

rubyslippers Mon 21-Sep-09 15:20:13

i put on barely any weight due to MS and no appetite in the first weeks

at 20 weeks or so, i really started to show - also your baby is getting bigger, more fluid etc

as long as you know are you are eating sensibly then am sure all is well

MrsMerryHenry Mon 21-Sep-09 15:22:32

Don't worry about it, every woman gains weight differently. I have gained 7lb in the first 10 weeks yet am almost as svelte as pre-preg - and in fact, smaller in the tum department than with DC1. I think this time all the extra weight has gone on my brain grin (that was a super-intelligent grin, mind you).

As long as you carry on eating properly, you and baby will be fine.

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 21-Sep-09 15:27:13

Blimey - I can put 3lbs on in a weekend when not pg wink

Could be growth spurt, more fluid, water retention.... anything really. I gained total 2 stone in last pregnancy and had hideous ms all the way through. Have pigged out loads in this one and have put on less weight so far hmm

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Mon 21-Sep-09 15:55:51

hmmm, try having a poo...

fiziwizzle Mon 21-Sep-09 16:35:45

I went to Belgium for four days last week and really enjoyed the waffles, croissants, ice cream, chocolate, frites, you get the picture (partly because I was so distressed at not being able to drink the beer, which I adore). I was really very shocked to find that I'd put on *FOUR POUNDS* when I got back home.

In the few days since I've been back I've tried quite hard to 'be good' and I've gone down a couple of pounds but even so...

I'm 20 weeks and my bump has suddenly ballooned but this could be down to the waffles I suppose.

katster37 Mon 21-Sep-09 16:58:21

I put on 3 lbs the week before last (am 32 weeks now) and the week after, I had lost 2 lbs! I wouldn't worry too much.

woowa Mon 21-Sep-09 20:38:00

Am also almost 20 weeks and weight ballooned in the last week - both in physical size of belly (DH thinks it's hilarious to call me fatty now hmm )and in weight - suddenly about 8 pounds over my normal average, in a couple of weeks! I didn't put any weight on in first 15 weeks, and was starting to wonder if there was anythin there. I am now reassured that there is! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now