Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

V Bad Chesty cough! please help...

(5 Posts)
Yikess Mon 21-Sep-09 14:19:06

Hi

I have a really bad chesty cough and really dont know what I can take. All my muscles are killing me from coughing fits and I dont know what medication i can take to help. Will this affect my baby - the poor thing having to put up with this all the time

Thanks in advance for the help.

Seeline Mon 21-Sep-09 14:22:37

I sympathise - I had whooping cough when 6mnths pg - not to be recommended grin The gp told me to get some 'simple linctus' from the chemist. From memory (about 8 yrs ago...) I could put it in some hot black tea and honey which did ease the tickling abit. Are you sure you haven't got a chest infection? You may need some antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon.

Seeline Mon 21-Sep-09 14:23:51

Oh - the coughing didn't seem to affect the baby, although it did make him move around alot. He was fine when born though!

Theteathings Mon 21-Sep-09 15:13:09

how long have you had it for? More than a week and I think you should see your gp and get some antibi's.

Gizboss Mon 21-Sep-09 18:16:47

I had a horrible chesty cough recently too. I put up with it for 2 weeks, tried to rest and hoped it would go away but it didn't so I then went to see my GP, he checked me over and gave me some linctus syrup which within a few days cleared it up. I don't know if I was almost over it but I think it did help it to go. Apparently the syrup is safe for the baby (the pharmacist double checked this for me) and really soothed straight away. My GP did say that if it didn't clear it then he would give me some antibiotics this week as there are some which are ok to take.
Go and see your GP and I hope you feel better - something like this can really drag you down.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: