Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby hiccupping in womb up to 10 times a day. Something wrong? :-(

(13 Posts)
ellaeleven Mon 21-Sep-09 13:45:39

I'm 34 weeks and ok a little paranoid as this hasn't been the easiest pregnancy. I know feeling baby hiccups every so often, maybe once or twice a day even, is normal but this seems to be almost every hour and also wakes me up during the night.Everything else with baby was ok at last antenatel app. but I've convinced myself there may be something wrong (especially as a friend said her son was constantly hiccuping and was born with the cord around his neck)shock. Would the midwife take my concerns and anxieties seriously and possibly give me a scan or will I be laughed out of town?. Anyone experiencing the same? Sorry for coming over all alarmist. Thanks in advance for any replies.

MovingOutOfBlighty Mon 21-Sep-09 13:47:34

My DH moved out of our bed for last few weeks of my DD preg as he couldn't stand the crazy amounts of hiccups! The my DS never did any hiccups at all.

only difference between the 2 of them is that my dd did lots of projectile pukes as a newborn but my ds didn't.

Totally wouldnt worry.

Comma2 Mon 21-Sep-09 14:02:31

Nope, nothing wrong. :-)

TheMightyToosh Mon 21-Sep-09 14:04:38

Had this almost daily with DD. No problems there. We were told it was her getting her abdominal muscles in shape for breathing etc when she came out.

moosemama Mon 21-Sep-09 14:09:56

My dd had ridiculous amounts of hiccups, especially in the last few weeks. Midwife said the same thing as TheMightToosh, that it was her ay of preparing her muscles for breathing.

She still hiccupped a lot for about the first three months after she was born.

muddleduck Mon 21-Sep-09 14:10:17

Ds2 did this.
The nice thing about it was that he still did it once he was born and it made him seem more "familiar" - like the bump and the baby really were the same person IYKWIM.

Tidey Mon 21-Sep-09 14:14:08

I'm not in any way an expert, but both of my DC did this a lot. I found it quite fascinating to watch my stomach jump about as they hiccuped.

They are now 7 and nearly two and they both get hiccups if they laugh very hard at something for a long time grin

Stannie Mon 21-Sep-09 14:18:09

My bump has had some crazy hiccupping fits the last few days - sometimes lasting for over 30mins each time.

I asked MW and was told the same thing as MightyToosh and Moosemama ie the muscles getting ready for breathing.

deepdarkwood Mon 21-Sep-09 14:18:17

ds did this A LOT - can't remember numbers, bbut 10 x day doesn't sound impossible - and had hiccups a lot as a baby. Dd only hiccuped once in utero, and wasn't a hic-cupy baby either.
I had a rough pg too, and did raise it with the mw, who said it was nothing at all to worry about smile

Btw, quite a few of babies have cord wrapped lightly round their necks when born - easy to get a finger under and flip it off. Heart-rate monitor should pick up any problems with the cord being too tight.

ellaeleven Mon 21-Sep-09 15:48:34

Phew! Thank you so much lovely mumsnetters for such quick reassuring replys. I can let go of my paranoia now and relax and look forward to a hiccuppy, projectile vomiting baby smile. X

katster37 Mon 21-Sep-09 17:00:35

Ellaeleven I also freaked out about this - my baby (am 32 weeks) has had hiccuping fits since about 26 weeks - probably between 4 and 10 episodes a day. MW said it is indeed normal, and in fact good because they are practising swallowing and getting ready etc.

pigleychez Mon 21-Sep-09 19:20:23

My DD had Hiccups ALL the time.

My whole stomach would jump with every hiccup. Caused hours of entertainment for my family.

DD also got lots of hiccups as a newborn. Just their way of practicing thier breathing and working those little lungs.

Perfectly normal

MumNWLondon Mon 21-Sep-09 22:38:23

My DD hiccuped what seemed like non stop for the last 6-8 weeks of pregnancy. And she was never sick as a baby so doesn't necessarily mean vomitting baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now