Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! Top tips for things to do in the final weeks of pregnancy needed urgent-like

(17 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Sep-09 09:33:43

Could you help with your top tips for things to do during those last weeks of pregnancy to get ready for actually bringing baby home? BabiesGuideAuthor is tweaking the manuscript but has got hopelessly lost in the Archive down the gloomy corridor labelled ?bumsex?...

Many TIA.

alana39 Mon 21-Sep-09 09:42:46

Wash any new baby clothes. Cook a few meals for the freezer. Stock up on paracetamol and maternity pads. And then, assuming it's your first, sleep any moment you can because this is your last chance.

EccentricaGallumbits Mon 21-Sep-09 09:45:12

Remember that your 'due date' is a guide, not a magic number. Your baby is highly unlikely to put in an appearence on that specific date and 'normal' is any day either side of the 'due' date. So stop being impatient and enjoy it.

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Mon 21-Sep-09 09:48:09

grin

Book some beauty treatments and pamper yourself. It will be your last chance for sometime. The same goes for a haircut.

I went to the cinema on my own during my maternity leave. The daytime screenings were cheaper and I got a chance to watch loads of chick flicks that I couldn't drag dh along to. The vast consumption of sweets, ice-cream and popcorn were a bonus too.

Go swimming. The feeling of weightlessness is second to none when you've been feeling like a heifer for months. Even if you only do a few laps you feel the mars bar from the vending machine in the reception is more than justified.

Ante-natal yoga is a great way of stretching out those aches and pains. It can be a bit tricky to get into some of the poses in the final weeks, but it's quite an accomplishment when you do.

Wash all of your baby clothes and linen so they are ready to go when baby arrives. I remember pegging out the tiny vests on the line and getting really quite excited, scared, thrilled, nervous and teary knowing that my baby would be wearing them soon.

If you can be arsed, give the house a deep clean. It won't get done again for a long time.

Batch cook a load of meals and freeze them so you always have a meal available in those newborn days.

Lie in and nap during the day. Why not? If you are going to be a first time mum, you probably won't have this again.

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 21-Sep-09 09:49:31

If you already have toddlers, send them to the moon.
Otherwise you haven't got a hope in hell of doing the other things on the list. (Last chance to pamper yourself - pah!)

AvonBarksdale Mon 21-Sep-09 09:56:40

Sky Plus all your favourite shows and stock up on DVD boxsets because chances are for the first few weeks you will spend an inordinate amount of time sitting on the sofa nursing a never-full newborn. Likewise make sure you have your laptop charged and within reaching distance so you can call upon Mumsnet when you need it (you will need it!).

If you have the energy you could also build a small rocket with which you can blast your maternity clothes into space as you will be THAT fed up of them by the time the baby arrives.

Mybox Mon 21-Sep-09 10:01:21

If it's your first you can think your ready & know all about looking after a baby lol

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 21-Sep-09 10:06:41

Shop for any birthday/anniversary etc. cards and presents for any events coming up within a couple of months of having your baby - chances are you won't remember/have time once newborn is here.

Agree with washing baby linen and some of the clothes but don't wash all newborn clothes. I unpacked and washed all of mine and dd was a big baby and went straight into 0-3 month clothes and the newborn ones couldn't go back.

Have a wardrobe sort out and get a few post baby outfits sorted (probably still maternity or loose/bigger pre pregnancy clothes). The first few weeks will probably be spent in pj's but at least you won't need to rummage around too much for outfits if/when you do decide to get dressed.

Stock up on lots of "one handed" food/snacks for bf'ing, as well as batch cooking and freezing meals for you and any existing dc's.

Book hair/beauty salon appointments around your due date - that way you'll either exercise sod's law and the baby will arrive on time and you'll have to cancel or you'll get a decent hair cut smile

puffylovett Mon 21-Sep-09 10:09:13

Trawl MN archives on when labour started, wether sweeps work, going overdue, etc etc.

Sex, sex and more sex. Lots of lozacking in the bath. Walk - lots. Bounce on ball - lots !

The rest of the time - eat ice cream in front of sky movies grin

Can't you tell I am currently haunting the childbirth and pregnancy threads at 41 wks OD hmm

LionstarBigPants Mon 21-Sep-09 10:24:16

Be prepared for terminal boredom and crying fits after you've done all of the above and there's still no sign of the baby.

Ignore the phone, facebook etc - everyone's comments will just make you more depressed

Be prepared to start writing new baby name lists in retaliation - Patricia or Keith anyone?

Pingpong Mon 21-Sep-09 10:28:19

I realised I had read a couple of pregnancy books but had forgotten about what to do with the final result and once the baby is here you don't have much time for reading, well I didn't.
Rest, rest, rest!
Get some snacks together for your hospital bag including a sports bottle for drinking water in strange positions and some mints incase you are sick and can't get to brush your teeth.
Think about where you are going to be feeding the baby. I was keen to BF but ended up with emcs. BF was okay but when I got home I realised I couldn't hoist myself out of our saggy sofa with a cs wound so MIL was sent out to find a suitable upright but comfortable chair for me to use for feeding.I needed a table by the chair too for the phone, my mobile, the TV remote, a pint of water etc. If the baby falls asleep on you, you don't want to have to get up to change channel or answer the phone.
Buy some big pants just incase you have a cs - you need something that won't rest on your scar. Keep the receipt and return them if you don't need them.
If you intend to BF then buy some Lasinoh nipple cream, it is expensive but it's the only stuff that helps cracked nipples.
Get a list together of names and numbers for your partner to text/call if you are stuck in the hospital and can't use your phone. Your list of important people may not be the same as his!

mamadiva Mon 21-Sep-09 10:28:36

1. Double check you have everything you will need for baby.

2. Wash baby clothing and bedding to get it ready.

3. Batch cook as much as you can so as to have a stock of decent ready meals.

4. Get accustomed to online grocery shopping.

5. Pamper yourself with haircut, waxing etc as you won't get the chance for a while.

6. Build up a good book, magazine and DVD collection for those long nights feeding.

7. Get plenty of sleep.

8. Clean house as much as you can.

9. Make sure you grab some us time with DP because again you won't get much chance.

10. Prep your hopspital bag.

dingdong3 Mon 21-Sep-09 10:30:29

LOL OP about sending your toddlers to the moon!
Agree with all the other great hints and tips. Additional to them, I would suggest setting up a change station and travel cot downstairs to save you going up and down the stairs every time you need to change or nap your baby. I found it helped my kids differentiate between day and night sleep and getting them used to the travel cot made it easier for me to bring them places as it became a familiar place to sleep.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Mon 21-Sep-09 10:38:53

Meet friends for coffee.
Go to the cinema.
Sleep!
Balls to the housework.
Get a manicure / pedicure.
Reread the giving birth section of the books including the bits about assisted delivery so that you are prepared whatever happens.
Stock up on maternity pads and lansinoh.
Buy a nice notebook which will start off being a list of feed times / sides but will morph into being a lovely diary of baby's first year.

Ewe Mon 21-Sep-09 10:49:52

Sleep, sleep and more sleep would me advice.

That and getting hair cut and coloured, it was a long time before I got the chance to go again!

Buy some DVD boxsets for those long evening feeds.

rubyslippers Mon 21-Sep-09 10:53:45

sleep
get nails done
sleep
pack your bag - don't forget your camera
sleep
cook for the freezer
sleep
sleep
sleep some more
bribe rellies to look after other children so you can sleep
bounce on a birthing ball
sleep

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Sep-09 11:01:11

Thanks so much all - brilliant stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now