Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Abdominal pain in early pregnancy. Is this normal procedure?

(4 Posts)
Ebb Sun 20-Sep-09 09:55:16

I'm 5wks pregnant. Tested last Sunday with CBD. Conception indicator 1-2wks. Had a bit of bleeding Tuesday. Only light. Have also had pain on one side of my lower abdomen. Not constant. Sometimes a sharp, stabbing pain, some times just an ache, sometimes almost a burning sensation.

Went to the Doctors on Thursday and he just said 'take a pregnancy test again next week and if still having pain then come back next week'.

Is this normal procedure? If it's ectopic ( ok worse case scenario ) then surely investigating earlier rather than later is better?

Took another pregnancy test yesterday and conception is now 2-3wks so hormones obviously increasing which must be a good thing?

Still having pain on and off. Not sure what to do next. Leave it a few more days or ring the EPU? Any thoughts, advice, experiences would be good. TIA.

beaniesinthebucketagain Sun 20-Sep-09 13:53:12

i really am no expert, i was late discovering both pregnancies, 9 and 12 wks but i can remember aches and pains, muscles streching etc i was told, hopefully someone who knows more can come and answer x

VanillaIce Sun 20-Sep-09 14:23:29

Very normal, I would say. It will pass.

belgo Sun 20-Sep-09 14:29:58

I think you should ring EPU. Bleeding and pain during pregnancy should always be investigated properly - with a scan and blood tests.

Having said that, it could all be fine, but you do need to know for certain - as you said, an ectopic needs to be diagnosed sooner rather then later as it can be very dangerous.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now