Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Polyhydramnios?

(17 Posts)
mushumadness Sun 20-Sep-09 09:51:49

Hiya

I had a 4d scan on Thursday, and was informed by the scanning guy that I have Polyhydramnios. which is excess fluid ammounting to 2500ml in me right now, and that I had to inform my consultant straight away.

Ive made an appointment wiht him for Tuesday morning

but now Im worried about what effect this is going to have on my pregnancy

I 32 weeks on wednesday and measured in at 41 weeks last wednesday for fundal height

does anyone have any experiance help or advice

oh and Ive also got spd and group b strep (couldnt be much more unlucky could i)

thanks anna

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 20-Sep-09 15:16:40

You need to keep a close eye on the baby's movements and go to hospital if there is any change.

I had this with DC1.

reikizen Sun 20-Sep-09 15:42:12

TBH I wouldn't worry until you have seen the consultant as a 4d 'scanning guy' is no expert! (Which is one of my concerns about these scans, problems may be missed or identified wrongly). Anyway, back to the point! Polyhydramnious may indicate a problem with the baby but I would feel certain that this would have been identified by 32 weeks so I wouldn't lose any sleep over that. Apart from your discomfort, the main concern would be that the baby may be able to move around too freely and not engage into a suitable position for birth (breech or transverse) or that the cord may come down first when your waters break. Due to your spd and GBS I would imagine you are planning a hospital birth anyway but depending on the level of polyhydramnious I have known women be admitted to hospital so that they can be induced quickly if the waters break. Having said all that (!!) the vast majority of women with polyhydramnios labour spontaneously and without problems!
Good luck, hopefully the consultant will put your mind at rest, or at least put a plan in place for you.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 20-Sep-09 15:59:00

I am sorry reikizen but you are wrong.

I sonographer picked up the problem with my baby and had not been picked up before.

My baby would have died if I hadn't already have been in hospital.

reikizen Sun 20-Sep-09 16:05:54

I don't mean a sonographer in a hospital or clinical setting, I have the greatest respect for them! I mean the 'recreational scanning' companies who operate for profit. I am very sorry your baby was ill though and glad that a well trained professional identified the problem.

mushumadness Sun 20-Sep-09 16:52:45

hiya

sorry should have said the guy who does my scans, actually works as a sonographer in perterborough hospital in the week, he just has this business on the weekend, and has been doing it 15 years

anyhow I am still worried, seems an awfull long time till Tuesday. I didnt realise how big I was till dh took a picture of me yesterday my stomach sticks out over a foot in places!! no wonder my mat trousers and top arnt meeting

I am booked in for early induction at 38 weeks due to my pelvis, just worried this may fetch it forward

also worried about the cord coming first, maybe a section will be suggested (though this scares me but if it makes my son safe Im all for it)

thanks for all the replys

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 20-Sep-09 17:16:21

Movements

movements

movements

mushumadness Sun 20-Sep-09 17:28:40

hiya fab

baby is moving all the time, though it can be painfull and sometimes very low, is this a problem?

sounds wierd but I feel him keep turning

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 20-Sep-09 17:57:53

Any change at all - be it more movements or less - needs to be checked over. If you have any worries at all get yourself to hospital or phone your midwife.

mushumadness Sun 20-Sep-09 18:09:51

ok thanks for the advice

dont trust the midwife though all she has said is that thats ALOT of water!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 20-Sep-09 18:11:41

I am probably being OTT but my baby would have died if it hadn't have been for my midwife and some hospital midwives who were great. Another midwife sent me home and we are very lucky baby held on for a few more hours.

mushumadness Sun 20-Sep-09 18:20:15

how far along were you?

Im going to the walk in midwife tomorrow afternoon, as Im worried sick. then consultant 9.15 on tuesday

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 20-Sep-09 18:22:01

38 weeks when he was born by emergency section.

TMD Mon 21-Sep-09 15:24:11

I had this in my first pregnancy but no complications until my waters were broken and I flooded the consultant delivering bless! lol They were worried baby was going to be big but actually it was just too much fluid. If they know about your situation they will monitor you. Don't panic until you have spoken to someone in the know chick. Let us know how you get on. xxx

mushumadness Mon 21-Sep-09 15:31:43

well had walk in midwife today, measuring 38 weeks now instead of 31+5!

consultant tomorrow, i feel like my bellys gonna go pop

krugerparkrules Mon 21-Sep-09 15:56:21

hi mush - i had this as well, they will monitor you if needed, and like me, i am sure everything will be okay - i also measured huge, but baby turned out average weight (scan got it totally wrong, and had baby at over 1kg heavier than she was)
I think the only thing to be prepared for is as TMD says that when your waters break they break!!! I went through my entire supply of maternity pads before i got to the hospital! Good luck, i know how worrying this is, but as they know about it they will monitor you, and if you feel any difference in movemements then they will hook you up to a monitor (which they did with me endlessly!!)

mushumadness Mon 21-Sep-09 16:40:02

hi
thanks for the reply

is 2500ml classed as a huge ammount of waters?
I can just imagine the gush lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now