Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

not advised but personal lifestyle changes that you have made during pregnancy

(30 Posts)
muddle78 Sat 19-Sep-09 18:05:28

i stopped wearing deoderant. the logic being that there is a link between deoderant and breast cancer. i decided that if deoderant gets into the breast tissue it could get into my milk? anyone else smelly during pregnancy lol?!!!! or have taken other unusual but logical precautions?

beaniebaby25 Sat 19-Sep-09 18:15:18

is there a link between deodorant and breast cancer?

muddle78 Sat 19-Sep-09 18:18:23

i read about it ages ago... just googled it and found conflicting info but this is similar to what i read www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-479559/Deodorant-linked-breast-cancer.html

lazylion Sat 19-Sep-09 19:21:12

my previous baby had hypospadias (hole in penis in the wrong place) so this time i didn't drink tap water, didn't eat soya, didn't use deodorant or hairspray either. all those have been linked to the problem at some time. baby was a girl so i wasted all that money on bottled water, oh well.

muddle78 Sat 19-Sep-09 21:05:27

thanks for replying lazylion smile glad im not the first deoderant free smelly pregnant lady hehe! blimey, didn't realise how dependant i had become on deoderant... one wash a day is not enough anymore!

porcupine11 Sat 19-Sep-09 21:13:27

I thought I had it sussed as it's my 2nd pregnancy, but now I've found two more sources of danger:

Fruitella (almost 100% transfats, I discovered after eating a whole bag to relieve my morning sickness)

Showers (bugs in the showerhead news)

I've also given up fizzy drinks and the London underground, as I did last time.

dinkystinky Sat 19-Sep-09 21:18:28

Totally cut out caffeine - as didnt want an insomniac baby on my hands. Not that it helped me with DS2! And full fat milk - as made me want to hurl.. none recommended but was what I wanted to do both times...

houmousandcarrotsandwich Sat 19-Sep-09 21:28:56

Baths!

(Don't worry I still shower!! blush)

I just think if I'm not suppost to use Jacuzzi's or saunas, surely I shouldn't sit in a tub of warm water?!

woowa Sun 20-Sep-09 17:07:15

warning - may be TMI:

Removing excess bodyhair on tummy and breasts! decided that since everyone apparently gets really hairy during pregnancy, I'd just stay like this... Not sure baby will appreciate hair when feeding though!!! Apologies, have just grossed myself out!

Also, the ONE time I had a bath so far during pregnancy I bled the next day (at 8 weeks). This was enough to terrify me out of getting in hot water til baby is safely out!

colditz Sun 20-Sep-09 17:17:27

Stopped riding my motorbike at 34 weeks

Morloth Sun 20-Sep-09 17:30:59

Pretty much stopped drinking (I still have a beer or a glass of wine if feel like it, but just the one), eating carbs (I usually low carb), lowered the intensity of my workouts and switched all but one of my coffees per day to decaff.

Nothing too dramatic, have a good lifestyle in any case.

saltyseadog Sun 20-Sep-09 17:33:52

Gave up running - too knackered in 1st trimester and now too scared of falling over and damaging bump physically.

muddle78 Sun 20-Sep-09 17:59:00

woowa... i stopped with the body hair removal too... except legs and armpits grin omg what do i sound like now...smelly hairy pg woman!!!

thanks for all your replys, i cant imagine going without a bath entirely although mine are cool baths and thats not so nice hmm

saltyseadog Sun 20-Sep-09 18:25:52

Why stopping with hair removal? What's the risk of shaving/ waxing?
I couldn't give that up I'm afraid

Morloth Sun 20-Sep-09 18:58:53

I barely remember to shave bits when I am not pregnant, seriously can't be arsed at the moment. None of my gym kit fits anyway, so have been wearing tracksuits pretty much. DH couldn't give a fuck if I turn into a Sasquatch (am blessed with uncomplicated man), so hairy does it!

lucky1979 Sun 20-Sep-09 21:47:51

muddle78 - Lush do a solid deoderant which is chemical free - there are a few of them here. I don't think the link with packaged deoderants and breast cancer has ever been proved, but these might be a nice alternative if you want to avoid chemical things?

trellism Mon 21-Sep-09 10:02:51

Chemical free? What on earth is in it then?

I packed in the skydiving.

saltyseadog Mon 21-Sep-09 10:50:51

LOLOL at trellism. Mate of mine was back to skydiving when her ds was 3 months. Respect.

lucky1979 Mon 21-Sep-09 11:19:05

trellism - just meant the kind of chemicals (more accurately metals I suppose) which were in the scare stories about deoderant a while back. According to this article from snopes it was aluminium that was the perceived problem?

Not my thing personally, but thought that OP might be interested in a non-smelly alternative

muddle78 Mon 21-Sep-09 20:10:31

hi, many thanks lucky smile i havn't tried lush but other one i did try is rubbish and made me smell nice for about an hour wink thanks for your suggestion will give lush a go!

Mama2b5 Mon 21-Sep-09 22:34:41

Sex - i am so thankful my hubby understands i have SPD and very painful! wink

trellism Tue 22-Sep-09 11:12:36

Well, the active ingredient in Lush deodorant bars is sodium bicarbonate... if you want to avoid metal salts you'd better steer clear of those too, and alum crystals, since that's aluminum potassium sulfate. (chemistry pedant blush)

fwiw, I think the Lush bars are pretty good. They don't hold up all that well (but not a total failure) in hot weather but I'm perfectly happy to use them in the cooler months, and they're a lot nicer to the old armpits than the Mitchum DH uses for his toxic pits.

The most annoying thing I was prevented from doing, btw, was going on a Segway. I bloody love Segways, but was barred from a tour of San Francisco because of my condition. Froth.

muddle78 Tue 22-Sep-09 20:39:55

thanks trellism. ok ive survived 7 months deo free, im not gonna ruin it now with bicarb sad thanks for the chemistry lessonsmile.

trellism Wed 23-Sep-09 11:11:52

Noo!

I was joshing. Unless you're going to pack in things like cakes (raised with bicarb) and table salt (sodium chloride), there isn't any way you're going to avoid metal ions. They're in your body already - iron in your blood, calcium in your bones... you need them to live.

They're not going to do you any harm. Please don't get paranoid.

nappyaddict Wed 23-Sep-09 11:38:21

I don't think the Lush ones are chemical free ... aren't Propylene Glycol and Sodium Stearate chemicals?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now