Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but..

(6 Posts)
dizzymare Fri 18-Sep-09 20:11:43

Whenever I lay on my left hand side, I get a sharp pain in the back of my left calf? It's been mentioned to my consultant, and I've spoken to the midwife about it. It gets quite painful, but according to my consultant it's probably due to one of the babies resting on a nerve? Now I'm not saying I don't trust what they say, but surely the pains too far away from my uterus to be that?

So I guess what I'm asking is if anyone else has had or gets this? And if you do what have you been told. I'm not hugely worried about it but it's just another twinge I don't really understandblush

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 18-Sep-09 20:24:30

Don't know so bumping for you.

How are you doing?

alana39 Fri 18-Sep-09 20:40:03

Don't have it but pain in limbs can be "referred" from quite a distant site - just as an example when my son had pain in his ankle the GP tested both his knee and hip in detail as sometimes problems in one joint cause symptoms to be felt in another. Sorry not very specific but I suppose I'm saying the consultant's explanation sounds reasonable.

dizzymare Fri 18-Sep-09 20:50:17

blush Been making good use of my season ticket to the maternity unit again. I've been back for dehydration, am ok now but have to be back early tomorrow for a repeat scan to check my amnio fluid levels. My body isn't taking this pregnancy very well at allhmm

Thanks alana for answering.

lucya1980 Fri 18-Sep-09 21:21:31

sciatica can cause pain down one side including your calf and foot. It is caused by pressure on your sciatic nerve which is where the babies are sitting. II suffered with this around 23weeks, but it eased of for a while and now its spd ( which is alot more annoying to me as limiting my walking) have you tried a support belt and perhaps ring your midwife or hospital to see a womens health physio. If you are concerened it could be a clot or a dvt, you could expect some swelling, pitting odema ( where u press and it leaves a dent) and it would be measuring bigger than your other calf at its biggest point. it would also not just hurt in certain positions. good luck

dizzymare Fri 18-Sep-09 21:27:26

Thanks, no there's no swelling or pitting, just a sharp pain. Always right in the same place, which is really annoying, and I did get a belt from the midwife, but tbh I am spending so much time either laying or sitting down I've not used it yetblush

So, nothing to worry about then. Goodsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now