Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did the "female sperm are slower but last longer, male sperm are faster but die off quickly" theory work for you?

(52 Posts)

Because I keep hearing that the best way to have a girl is to have sex a day or two before you ovulate so by the time the egg is available all the male sperm have died. And the best way to have a boy is to have sex on the day you ovulate.

So if you were charting or otherwise knew when you ovulated, and you had sex that day, have any of you had girl babies?

lilysam Fri 18-Sep-09 17:59:30

Had sex days before ovulation and got a girl, had lots of sex around ovulation and got a boy

Waswondering Fri 18-Sep-09 18:00:40

Yes here too - but not by design or intention. (I was convinced that I couldn't possibly have conceived that month, but dd is standing beside me!)

lilysam Fri 18-Sep-09 18:01:55

my dd was a bit of a 'surprise' too grin

so the theory worked for you both times lilysam.

waswondering, so you had sex a few days before ov and got a girl, or ON the day of ov and had a girl?

Spidermama Fri 18-Sep-09 18:10:04

It failed twice over for me.

fatsatsuma Fri 18-Sep-09 18:10:19

We conceived 2 dd's on about day 10 of my cycle.

Both times we didn't bother with contraception because I thought we couldn't possibly conceive then blush

How careful are we these days ????

(btw, we do love both our 'surprise' dd's very much indeed...)

Jazzicatz Fri 18-Sep-09 18:11:37

Also if you don't orgasm you are more likely to have a girl, how does this fit with those who conceived girls???

so the theory worked for you then, satsuma!

excited to hear it didn't for you spidermama! do you think there's always a 50/50 chance then?

lilysam Fri 18-Sep-09 18:18:13

Yes, DS conceived on holiday grin dd1 when i thought i was 'safe', dd2 can't remember...

This one is a bit 'in between' timing-wise (but thinking girl) so will let you know in 6 months if all goes well!

Jackmummy Fri 18-Sep-09 21:20:29

Yes, worked for me with ds and dd.
To be honest with ds it could have been any day that month!
But dd (dc2) it was def a couple of days before ovulation as I wanted a little girl second time round! grin

muddle78 Sat 19-Sep-09 06:42:41

am expecting a ds and can be sure of conception due to timing of holiday without dp. in my case theory works.

Bathsheba Sat 19-Sep-09 08:20:10

It worked for me with DD2....

lucky1979 Sat 19-Sep-09 09:05:22

Worked for me as well, I was convinced we'd missed a month and was quite suprised by the BFP Scan confirms definitely a girl :D

katster37 Sat 19-Sep-09 09:38:38

Am 31 weeks with a boy, and conceived on ovulation day. Had been TTC for 4 months, and each time we had stopped a day or two before ov (not by design, just timing/circumstances) and didn't conceive.

sheeplikessleep Sat 19-Sep-09 18:58:37

DS was definitely conceived around ovulation.
I'm now 13 weeks pregnant with dc2 and we had sex 6 days prior to ovulation, just as my dh was away with work the rest of the week (was very surprised by the BFP).
We were using OPKs, so I know for definite the dates. Of course, I'll be happy with either, but will be interesting to find out in 7 weeks!
Will be watching thread with interest ...

Weegle Sat 19-Sep-09 19:03:14

seems to have worked for us - DS definitely on day of ovulation, now carrying twin girls - DTD at least 4 days before ovulation so thought we had missed that month... the BFP was a bit of a surprise, especially as we had been trying for so long.

blueduck Sat 19-Sep-09 19:07:20

We had a boy first and ovulated day just after and girl second and it was pretty much the same so can't confirm your theory !!

happyjules Sat 19-Sep-09 22:20:25

Yes, it worked for me twice. I was very definately aiming for a girl on both ocasions and even the same time of year(12 days between their birthdays).

BringBackArlene Sat 19-Sep-09 22:25:03

Yes, twice.

Danthe4th Sun 20-Sep-09 11:00:06

Didn't know about the orgasm theory, but with both dd's concieved around day 12/14 with no orgasm(first husband) both ds's concieved around ovulation with orgasm(2nd husband) huge difference!!! lol that explains a lot.

cloudydaze Sun 20-Sep-09 19:00:16

Didn't work for us, twice, but we did get two beautiful (well in our opinion grin) healthy DS's so no complaints here!

Joeymac Sun 20-Sep-09 20:11:29

Got two lovely DSs both conceived I think around ovulation but I was so sketchy on my cycle as it was all over the place that I was just amazed I was pregnant so fast.

Now 12 weeks pregs with DC3 and would dearly love a girl so I used hazel chesterman philips book - 'how to conceive the sex you want naturally' or something along those lines.

Changed my diet, got my thermometer out daily and my ovulation kit and defo no orgasms. Hubby kind of grudgingly went with the plan. Think I ovulate day 21/22 so bd day 13,15 and 17. Amazingly preggers first month so fingers cross but won't find out this time as I know I'll love it whatever - little boys are just so cute.

PracticalCat Sun 20-Sep-09 20:33:15

A resounding no.

At the risk of sounding a little bit deranged, I charted and plotted, weed on ovulation strips, read Shettles, Chesterman Phillips, ate lots of yoghurt and DS (currently 17 weeks) was conceived 2 or 3 days before ovulation. Didn't work for me. There is the O +12 theory that completely contradicts Shettles. But I'm not longer interested - let nature take its course.

Pingpong Sun 20-Sep-09 20:41:27

It wasn't a question of 'working for us' as it wasn't a conscious decision but I do believe that it happens.
DD was conceived on day 8 of my cycle and DH and I were apart for the rest of that month. I thought there was no chance of a BFP that month but the girl sperm were hanging around for that egg!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now