Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

39 weeks, fell over yesterday and badly sprained ankle

(7 Posts)
countrybump Fri 18-Sep-09 08:05:13

I can't believe I did something so stupid, and it was such a shock! I was simply stepping out the door and went over on my ankle, and fell over.

My instincts must have kicked in and I twisted round to land on my back and not my bump, and dropped what I was carrying. But the pain in my ankle was just incredible and I really thought I'd broken it.

But, a trip to my GP later, and it's a bad sprain, and not a lot I can do about it other than rest - not easy with a three-year-old running around!

So, any suggestions on what I can do to make today bearable? It's agony to put weight on it, I've got it bandaged up and keep putting ice on it. Trying to keep worrying relatives at bay as they tend to drive my blood pressure up when they're here, which is somethihg I need to avoid in this last week or so of pregnancy!

And we were supposed to go to a playgroup and out for lunch today Don't think I'll even manage it to the shower now.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 18-Sep-09 08:12:10

Tbh I don't think there is much you can do apart from rest your ankle and I'm guessing it will be painful for quite a few days. Can your relatives take your dc out for a while so they can run off some beans and you can have some r&r in peace?

I hope it gets better soon.

countrybump Fri 18-Sep-09 08:22:05

Thanks, I think if it's still painful on Monday I'll have to ask relatives for help, but hoping DH will come home early today and he'll be around all weekend.
Relatives all live 200 miles away, so when they come to help they come to stay, and I find it a little stressful having a houseful, particularly as I know they are so keen to be here for the birth of DC2. And I can't bear the thought of the constant phone calls and speculation that will happen if they know I've gone into labour! I'd rather be able to just give them a call and let them know baby has arrived and that now they are welcome to visit!

Still - I think those issues are a whole other thread!

DS is being very good today though, and keeps kissing my leg to make it better. I think Cbeebies might be in order...!

EyeballsintheSky Fri 18-Sep-09 09:22:59

Sympathies. Not pg but sprained both ankles two weeks ago falling over a step. Was agony for a few days but then suddenly got a lot better as long as I keep my foot straight and don't bend it over to the side, that really hurts Now it's not too bad but I can't go down stairs as thats agony. Just try to keep off it as much as you can, not easy I know, toddlers don't allow that.

CBeebies definitely essential

BlueChampagne Fri 18-Sep-09 12:37:09

Sympathies here too. Are you taking paracetamol? I was told I could use Deep Freeze during my last pregnancy, which you might find helpful. Plus an ankle support.

Hope it improves soon.

VanillaIce Fri 18-Sep-09 13:29:35

God, I feel for you. I sprained my ankle many years ago and, to this day, it is the most painful thing that's ever happened to me. I guess the birth of my first baby is going to come as a shock, no? Seriously, you must wear a tubigrip and keep it elevated. All day long, if you can. If your baby comes early you'll be really screwed so put the effort in now while you can. Get friends to look after your DS or have a marathon movie session with him, order take-aways and sit, sit, sit.

Get well soon!

countrybump Fri 18-Sep-09 19:58:19

Thanks for the sympathies! I've had my ankle strapped up and elevated all day, and it's starting to feel a bit better. DS and I have had a marathon CBeebies session though, and I'm not sure how much more of that I can take!

Thankfully it's now the weekend so DH is home and will take over childcare so I'll have another two days of being totally off my feet, which will help.

I have to say the pain was so bad yesterday I was almost willing myself to go into labour so I could ask for an epidural!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now