Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Really stupid but when did you start wearing maternity bras??? You'd think i'd know by now...

(9 Posts)
lilysam Fri 18-Sep-09 06:56:26

Currently pg with No4 and I can't for the life of me remember when i started wearing maternity bras with the others!

I'm almost 11 weeks now and boobs starting to expand but lovely underwired ones still fit (i had lost a little weight before this pg). I hate maternity bras as they make my boobs look so daft but have always suffered them as i read they're better for you, milk ducts etc

Not sure whether to make the change or stay with my lovely 'normal' underwear....

Lizzzombie Fri 18-Sep-09 07:19:24

You do not have to wear soft cups during your pregnancy at all. What is most IMPORTANT is to have correctly fitting bras. Which will mean spending £30 ish on a bra and getting it properly fitted.
Problems only occur when women wear incorrectly fitting underwired bras during their pregnancy.

amyboo Fri 18-Sep-09 07:59:24

As long as your underwired bras are correctly fitted, there's no reason why you can't wear underwired bras throughout your pregnancy. I think they just recommend non-wired as there's no risk of badly fitted underwiring damaging your milk ducts. I for one have worn non-wired since about 5 weeks, as my boobs went up 2 sizes virutally overnight. I'm probably going to go and get fitted for some wired ones in the next couple of weeks though, as my boobs seem to have stopped growing for the moment.

Stokey Fri 18-Sep-09 17:33:17

Completely agree with Lizzzombie

Am 34 weeks and still in underwired although have spent about £120 on new bras - two at around 12 wks and two more at around 24wks, both times fitted at Bravissimo

Now these are getting a little uncomfy - I think mainly cos my rib cage has shifted up and part of the baby is underneath so the middle bit b/w my boobs is a bit sore, so have just ordered a soft one.

But if i had energy to go to Oxford st & get measured, could probably get another under wired one. Unfortuantely am too small backed & big boobed to buy at Marks

lilysam Fri 18-Sep-09 18:00:32

Great stuff - will see how long i can last then smile

Bondwife Sat 19-Sep-09 08:48:24

Im only 10 weeks and my boobs and body has gone crazy - have gone from a size 12 to a 16 already which is v scary. Went to M&S who were lovely and measured me and I bought 2 maternity bras for 20 pounds which were soooooo comfy.

MamaLazarou Sat 19-Sep-09 17:05:48

I started wearing them right from the start. My boobs grew straight away, and as I had to fork out for new ones, I thought I may as well get maternity ones. The Miriam Stoppard ones did well until I got past a G-cup - now I'm wearing ones from E-bay (amazingly cheap).

The best thing I have found so far is a bra expander (it came as part of a set with straps and adapter things, my mum bought me it from Avon yonks ago). It's just a little hook-and-eye fastener that attaches onto the normal fastening of bras to make them temporarily bigger.

I miss my lovely, pretty, underwired bras, but don't want to risk mastitis. I usually get properly measured and fitted so I know I am wearing the correct size, but it's almost impossible to do during pregnancy, as they seem to grow so rapidly!

MamaLazarou Sat 19-Sep-09 17:06:34

(You can buy those bra expanders from the haberdashery dept of John Lewis, BTW...)

Lizzzombie Sat 19-Sep-09 18:45:21

NCT used to do them too....as did Ann Summers! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now