Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breathlessness at 4 months

(11 Posts)
echops Thu 17-Sep-09 16:09:02

Hello - whilst I understand you can get breathless later on in pregnancy due to the baby pushing everything up towards the lungs, has anybody experienced breathlessness earlier on at say 3 / 4 months?

I'm regularly breathless - particularly when talking or walking. Had an ECG and all is fine and am not anaemic.

Any reassurance would be most welcome!

MrsCurly Thu 17-Sep-09 16:30:45

Oh yes. Am 17 weeks and out of breath from walking up the stairs!

I am anaemic though, but I was in my previous pregnancies and I don't remember being this out of breath this early on before. I thought I was just grossly unfit, so it is heartening to see it is not just me!

lostlenore Thu 17-Sep-09 18:41:27

I have felt breathless since about two months - enough to wonder if I have sudden onset asthma! Haven't passed out yet so presuming everything is fine....

PumaGirl Thu 17-Sep-09 19:10:06

Been breathless since about 4 weeks - was first symptom - not that I knew it then. Now 12 weeks and it's probably getting slightly worse. Not too worried though.

intravenouscoffee Thu 17-Sep-09 19:13:34

Another yes. I'm 17 weeks and constantly out of breath from very little excertion. The baby is obviously getting all the best oxygen and leaving me with the leftover stuff.

Firsttimer7259 Fri 18-Sep-09 11:11:48

I have this too (now 20 weeks), again since very early on. Am having to try to downplay my panting at the slightest incline. I also feel the blood pounding in my ears when I exert myself - eg after getting dressed. I think its the extra bloodflow. there is more blood to pump round my system and to oxygenate so those systems have had to work very hard, I felt my blood volume increased loads really early- well I got all veiny everywhere. Am not anemic and BP is fine, was also reasonably fit before pregnancy. This is the part of the work of being pregnant I really didnt expect, that everything just walking is so much harder and its not even the weight yet its just my body doing stuff to make me ready to take the weight of the baby.

flybynight Fri 18-Sep-09 11:45:29

I'm the same. I'm 10 weeks with my 4th child. Three months ago I was running 10k races. Now I get breathless if I go upstairs.I'm also infinitely sicker and tireder than I was in previous pregnancies, though.

echops Fri 18-Sep-09 18:21:38

Hi all - thanks so much for your messages. Has stopped me feeling like an unhealthy freak! Girl I work with is also pregnant and fitter than ever - I look like her chain smoking, fat eating nemisis! I'm sure my colleagues think I'm putting my breathlessness on!

pasturesnew Fri 18-Sep-09 18:27:39

When you are pregnant you produce more progesterone which affects your respiratory system.

Morloth Fri 18-Sep-09 18:53:43

14 weeks here and the same. I am super fit usually. Now a slight incline has me breathing hard.

Can anaemia make breathlessness worse? I haven't been eating enough meat/protein (I usually eat a lot cause I do a bit of body building).

So very very tired.

woodhj Fri 18-Sep-09 22:00:40

Im 22 weeks and after eating find it quite hard to get a steady breathing pattern,oh the joys of pregnancy and still so many weeks to go!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now