Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

5 1/2 weeks pregnant and just remembered bloody folic acid...

(5 Posts)
springerspaniel Tue 15-Sep-09 16:49:22

Am pregnant with number 3. Was an angel the first two times and took folic acid before starting TTC.

Am now 5 1/2 weeks pregnant with number 3. Walked past a chemist yesterday and remembered folic acid.

Have obviously started taking it.

I'm assuming there is no evidence/statistics on when the most critical time is to take it

(I know you take it when you are TTC and for first 12 weeks of pregnancy.)

springerspaniel Tue 15-Sep-09 16:50:15

...sorry my question is "Is there any real evidence for when during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy is the most critical time?"

Northernlurker Tue 15-Sep-09 16:55:42

I think the latest evidence is that actually the most benefit is derived from taking it pre conception BUT it has been proven to be beneficial througout the first trimester as well. Many, many women only take it after the pregnancy test (I started at about 6 weeks with dd1) and for others they only manage about a month before falling pregnant if they conceive quickly. So DON'T WORRY about not taking it before. If you are in good health and eating a balanced diet your body should have good folate levels in any case.

springerspaniel Wed 16-Sep-09 14:53:12

Thanks lurker.

I just read that the pre-conception benefit is partly to aid conception. Think it's best if I probably read no more about it as it is too late now.

LadyGooGoo Wed 16-Sep-09 14:55:49

Folic acid added to breakfast cereal and bread for this reason I believe.
Didn't know I was pregnant with DS2 until 11 weeks but midwife reassured me about the 'fortified with vitamins' thing and also normal diet with broccoli etc all folate rich!

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now