Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What washing powder

(7 Posts)
Murtette Mon 14-Sep-09 14:01:56

I'm thinking of washing the baby clothes, sheets for the moses basket etc tomorrow. Is normal non-bio washing powder suitable for baby stuff or is there some special product I should be using? And should I/can I use fabric conditioner?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

MrsBadger Mon 14-Sep-09 14:05:43

yes normal non-bio is fine, or even bio (everywhere else in Europe only has bio and thinks we are mad using something that cleans less well and only has the sketchiest amt of evidence to say it is better for you)

I never use fabric softener anyway as I find it too perfumed

tbh the best strategy is to use whatever you use for your normal washing.
Special 'baby' washes soon become a burden when you have a newborn in the house - much easier to chuck a few babygrows in with your own clothes.

Murtette Mon 14-Sep-09 17:41:26

Thanks. This is really practical and just what I needed.

Deemented Mon 14-Sep-09 17:44:49

Can i reccomend something called colour catchers?

I use these mainly ifi'm sticking DD's clothes in with the rest of the wash - they are fab and collect all the runs - if any - so you aren't left with stingy grey babygro's.

They reccomend a sheet per wash, but i can get 3 or 4 washes from the one sheet.

bevlin Wed 16-Sep-09 09:07:19

My DS has slight Eczema if irratated by heat or certain sunscreens and washing powders. Even Fairy non-bio aimed at babies clothes makes him break out but I found Ecover powder and softner is much milder and doesn't effect his skin at all.
Im going to wash all my baby clothes for the next one due Jan in it as it is obviously chemical free so won't have any probs with it.
To anyone reading this with a toddler however - it is crap with bad stains so if I really like a top or outfit with pasta sauce all over it, the fairy comes out itchiness or not!

TakeLovingChances Wed 16-Sep-09 14:25:43

Ecover isn't bad and smells nice, but please make sure you buy Ecover non-bio. I bought Ecover Bio once and came out in a huge rash all over me! I looked like I'd been burnt! Was very sore and itchy for a week or so!

I have sensitive skin, so I always make sure I lift non-bio, even though it's harder to get

bevlin Wed 16-Sep-09 15:41:37

oh yes, I should have said that, non bio.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now