Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby Movements

(10 Posts)
NewbeeMummy Mon 14-Sep-09 13:11:56

Just seen the midwife this morning, and I'm a little concerned about the lack of movement I'm feeling.

I can occasionally go a day or two without feeling anything (I'm 35 weeks on Wednesday) She's asked me to keep an eye on how often I feel her move, but what is considered normal, some sites I've looked at say you should be feeling at least 10 per hour, where others say 10 per 10 hours.

Any advice would be great as I'm feeling very stressed that something could be wrong.

julietbat Mon 14-Sep-09 13:45:04

It's supposed to be all about what is 'normal' for your baby. I know lots of people who say they had really chilled out babies and very little movement throughout the pregnancy. If you can detect some sort of pattern that suddenly changes, that is when you are supposed to get worried. I think the official version is 10 kicks in an hour but if you've never felt that it's not quite so easy! I'm not sure about feeling nothing for a day or two - that would worry me, but then I'm in the middle of my second pregnancy with rollocking babies! I'm assuming you told your midwife that you've felt nothing for over 24 hours before? Do you deliberately eat/drink then lie down quietly to feel movements?

The other thing is that the later you get, the bigger the baby and the less room they have to move so some tailing off of movements is to be expected at about your stage.

However, if you are worried I would definitely seek help. At about 33 weeks with my first pg I thought I hadn't felt my baby move for nearly a day - I phoned my midwife who said get up to the hospital asap and get checked out. I did and the little bugger started kicking the moment I got there! I was really embarrassed but the midwives were lovely and said ALWAYS get checked out if you're worried. It's too important not to.

Congrats on your pg! (I'm 34 weeks on Weds so only just behind you!)
But don't worry in silence

NewbeeMummy Mon 14-Sep-09 14:38:55

Thanks Julietbat, she's normally quite active, which is why I mentioned it to the MW, she doesn't seem to be overly concerned, but I think I'll start keep a close eye on when and how often I actually feel her move. I find sometimes it's hard to keep track as I'm busy and then will sit back at the end of the day and suddenly think, Have I actually felt her at all today?

I sometimes wonder if she's just happening to sleep through the day which is why I don't notice anything.

Thanks for the congrats, you must be looking forward to late october too
Hoping yours goes well and thanks very much for the reply

notjustapuppymum Mon 14-Sep-09 15:02:39

Hi, I'm 33 weeks pregnant with my first and my baby doesn't move anywhere near as much as your midwife is saying it should!
I am generally very busy and moving around during the day and would say I only consciously feel the baby kick about 3 times a day but my midwife said this is fine and normal.
I've had several scans throughout (measuring small for dates) and the sonographer usually gets frustrated cos the baby won't wake up and get into the right positions for him so I think I just have a very sleepy, chilled out baby!

connie1975 Mon 14-Sep-09 15:21:18

um - i think the line is more 10 episodes of movement within 24 hours, rather than 10 in an hour! Of course, there may be hours where you feel 10 movements or more - but they do sleep quite a lot!

Remember also they have busier and quieter days...x

wahwahwah Mon 14-Sep-09 15:23:41

The are usually more active at night (or you notice is more then). Try chocolate or a cold drink - that usually gets them doing the mambo.

NewbeeMummy Mon 14-Sep-09 15:42:26

Always happy to have an excuse to have some chocolate

Thanks very much for your advice all of you, I do feel a lot more calm about the whole thing now, but will definitely be paying more attention to what she does

beautifulgirls Mon 14-Sep-09 16:34:51

I had this with DD#2 on my EDD and they monitored me for a few hours and she was really quiet - they eventually scanned me to check the placenta was functioning ok and she was fine, which thankfully she was, so we sat it out another week. I am so glad they did take it seriously though I would have hated to have missed something. I would say if it worries you at all then better to call and get things checked out for certain and be sent away with everything looking fine, than to take a risk.
Good luck

PanicMode Mon 14-Sep-09 16:38:23

I was told ten movements in a day, not an hour when DC3 was a bit quiet for a period of time and I called the MW. As others have said, obviously you know best what is 'normal' for your baby, so if you feel that the baby is moving less than is normal for you, then I'd contact your MW. They do move less towards the end as they run out of room, but better to check if you are genuinely concerned.

HappyTangerine Mon 14-Sep-09 19:37:37

I wound up at the Pregnancy Assessment Unit last week due to itching (thankfully all is well) and they also told me 10 movements in 24 hours. I can go hours during the day without feeling a thing but baby is so active at night that I really struggle to sleep. You get to know a pattern-if you're concerned,just ring up and they'll bring you in and monitor you for an hour. No-one minds, they'd rather check all is okay and put your mind at ease. Mine had been very quiet all day until the monitor was strapped on him last week and then proceeded to spend the whole hour trying to kick it off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now