Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stupid question alert - driving in pregnancy

(9 Posts)
flyingcloud Mon 14-Sep-09 09:16:50

Sorry - dumbass first timer question!

The reason I ask is that a friend was advised by her doctor (normal pg) not to do any long-distance driving from 7.5 months onwards or to be a passenger over long distances.

Another friend gave birth three weeks early following a long drive back from holiday (six hours-ish).

I am 19 weeks and drive a lot for work. I have six hours today, probably the same again Wednesday and Friday (that's not a usual week but I do that about once a month). I will have a break in the middle. But obviously when it's for work and with a drive that long, I HATE to extend it too much by taking too many breaks.

A usual day involves a two hour round trip, roughly.

I will ask the consultant next time I see him, but just wondered if anyone else had experience of this.

Seeline Mon 14-Sep-09 09:28:12

It could be because pregancy can increase the risk of DVT so prolongued periods of inactivity are not advisable. Also most women are very tired when pregnant so long- distance driving may be more tiring than usual. No doubt there is also the constant need for the loo which may be distrating if the next service station in a long way off!!

Meglet Mon 14-Sep-09 09:30:19

I know someone who gave birth 5 weeks early following several long trips up and down the country, but it could easily be coincidence.

TBH I found it bloody uncomfy in a car past 6mo's pg and took maternity leave early-ish at 30 weeks so I didn't have a long commute. I suppose there could be a risk of DVT if you are keeping still for a long time, but as long as you stop regularly I can't imagine a healthy woman would have a problem. I've certainly never heard that advice from a gp or midwife.

LackingNicknameInspiration Mon 14-Sep-09 09:30:20

Not sure what the guidelines are, but I didn't worry overmuch with my first - my family live a six-hour drive away (longer with toddler in tow as we have to keep stopping...). I just stopped a month before as it just seemed sensible. Similarly, in the fortnight before my due date, I stayed within an hour or so of home. Much will depend, I guess, on work - I commuted in by train when pg with DD and worked until a week before my due date (although I was fairly sure that the correct date was a week later). It would have taken me an hour or so to get to the hospital but I figured she'd be unlikely to turn up in an hour - but then, easier by train than driving oneself.

This time around, I'm due 28 Nov - going up to my parents at the end of October and then that will be my last long trip away, I think, although have a couple elsewhere between now and end October.

Not sure if that helps, but good luck!

Dophus Mon 14-Sep-09 09:38:27

Depends on how you define long distance. I wouldn't call a two-hour round trip long distance but would find a 6 hour journey bloody uncomfortable in late pregnany.

I do't htink there are any risks - just discomfort.

WowOoo Mon 14-Sep-09 09:39:20

I had to do some long drives in late pregnancy. Was advised to take lots of breaks also. But i needed to as wanted to go to the loo a lot, to stretch a lot and to snack/drink a lot!!!!

Think 2 hours is fine. Ds2 came early - not sure of reasons why as didn't make that many long journeys.

Sure you'll be fine. Good luck with ti all.

flyingcloud Mon 14-Sep-09 10:18:48

Thanks all.

I find driving preferable to being driven, not sure why. Obviously the daily trips are short but combined with the longer ones makes up for a lot of driving.

mum27 Mon 14-Sep-09 10:50:48

In my last pregnancy I went on holiday a month before my due date and spent a lot of time in the car both just sitting and being a passenger. I discovered one night ( we were sleeping in the caqr that night) that my legs and feet had swollen up like tree trunks. My DH rushed to find the nearest hospital, we were in some very very small town and I was told that the oedema was caused by sitting down for extended periods and it would be ok to continue as long as I passengered with my feet up. This made for a very very uncomfortable ride, difficult to get comfy when you're in the back seat trying to elevate your feet somehow, some where. I was also told to stop and exercise regularly, easy to do with a toddler needing a toilet as often as you, the oedema didn't go away but it didn't get any worse either. Absolutely fascinating to see my feet that huge, aqlmost more interesting than the holiday grin

NewbeeMummy Mon 14-Sep-09 10:51:59

Not sure on what the official advice is, but inlaws live 6 hours away. we shared the driving going up as there was no way I could do a 6 hours stint after a full day at work.

But on the way back I was just too uncomfortable with baby kicking and BH's to drive any of it.

I think as with all things in pg, listen to your body, if you're you're too tired to drive then don't do it, take a train or speak to your employer about alternatives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now