Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dealing with trapped wind in pregnancy.

(16 Posts)
Thandeka Sun 13-Sep-09 18:40:20

So I am almost 20 weeks and have annoying trapped wind/indigestion type sensation above my bellybutton but below my ribcage. I imagine its partly because my uterus is starting to squidge everything up. So what can I do to ease it? Usually with trapped wind - 10 minutes lying on your back with your knees pulled into your chest usually sorts the problem out with some very satisfying farts but obviously with bump that is a bit difficult (although I did it a bit and it helped!). TMI but I don't care

Have tried peppermint tea. Any other magic solutions? Things I should eat/avoid? I suspect I am now a tad constipated after a bout of squiffy tummy on friday. The joys of pregnancy!

hoops997 Sun 13-Sep-09 18:59:24

thandeka 20 weeks!! Can't believe you are that far along, it's gone that quick! I'm not that far behind you at 12 weeks1

Don't about wind but I have awful constipation and have to take lactolose all the time and this helps me....

plusonemore Sun 13-Sep-09 19:07:58

it will get better once you drop a bit but til then... poor you
the only things i found were getting DH to pat/rub my back and sitting up all the time

plusonemore Sun 13-Sep-09 19:09:17

oh blush i have just read your post properly and realise what you mean! patting back might not help!!

Thandeka Sun 13-Sep-09 19:33:20

so basically between now and head engaging it could be this level of discomfort? Yay for pregnancy!

Yay Hoops but boo for constipation!

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Sun 13-Sep-09 19:36:47

Well, for indigestion I lived on gaviscon and petac (drank by the gallon) when pregnant.

For constipation I used lactulose but couldn't stand it so went on to linseeds instead. You can drink them down with water or sprinkle them in your yoghurt or cereal and I found they worked brilliantly.

Isn't pregnancy charming??

Snowfalls108 Sun 13-Sep-09 20:43:55

trapped wind - my DH farts me! as you would wind a baby, but out the other way. So so dignified.

Thandeka Sun 13-Sep-09 20:58:08

So gaviscon is okay during pregnancy. Will check out petac- never heard of it!

How on earth does DH "fart" you Snowfalls108- I have vision of you over his shoulder arse in air and him patting it!?

Yikess Sun 13-Sep-09 21:01:40

Hi

I had the same problem at around the same time (Im now 25+2) and my midwife said I could take Windeeze which was safe. I have found it helps, otherwise I would go with the lactolose as well although that could have you running to the loo a bit more. hope this helps.

Yikess wink

TOK Mon 14-Sep-09 08:12:58

Hi, I had this problem too. I found that kneeling on my front with knees tucked up and bottom in the air had the same effect as lying on your back and doing it!
Also, a short walk would help get things moving along!

Thandeka Mon 14-Sep-09 10:39:25

seems better today as boy I let rip some MAJOR farts in the night blush they kept waking me up!

Longtalljosie Mon 14-Sep-09 10:48:46

I found probiotic yoghurt drinks really helpful in pregnancy. If you take your little bottle daily without fail, it does keep you regular and helps with the wind as well.

Don't stop it after the birth either - it takes a while for things to settle back down poo-wise...

Snowfalls108 Mon 14-Sep-09 12:08:09

I go on hand and knees and he rubs my back. So not far off!

Southwind Mon 14-Sep-09 14:04:03

Heheeeeeeee my OH does the same as Snowfalls108......he quickly learnt not to face that area whilst rubbing grin

Kingsroadie Mon 14-Sep-09 17:23:03

Lie flat on your back with your legs up the wall - it really works to get the air out after about 5/10 mins and is good for swollen ankles and calves if you have them - feels nice even if not! grin

Thandeka Mon 14-Sep-09 18:44:36

bah it came back this arvo. Pain!
Some great tips there- am off to try some of em!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now