Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

gender scanning at 20 weeks, how certain can you be that they are right?

(7 Posts)
ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sun 13-Sep-09 17:53:52

as above really?

I thought that Boys were more likely to be accurate than girls? or is that not true?

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Sun 13-Sep-09 17:57:39

I think they are about 95% accurate. I think it is more accurate if they say boy because they are more likely to have seen a definite penis, whereas sometimes with a 'girl' the penis may just not be clearly visible.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sun 13-Sep-09 17:59:59

that is higher than I thought... thank you..

Am just worried for a friend, they said a girl at her scan, she has gone all out with the pink bedroom, pink buggy and pink clothes, I was wibbling (IN MY HEAD) about the accuracy of them, I have not said anything to her as she is overjoyed at baby bump being a girl.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Sun 13-Sep-09 18:05:34

We were told girl for this pregnancy after having 2 boys. The sonographer didn't really hesitate which made me think she was fairly sure.

But I have only very tentatively started buying a few pink things, as part of me still won't believe it until I see it grin

i asked my sonographer how certain baby was a boy he said hed happily bet me £30 on it! grin
Mujst be a boy then! smile

SPANIEL Mon 14-Sep-09 14:05:07

The lady doing the scan said 'i think i can see a little scrotum' to which my husband said'that's a nice thing to call my son'.I didn't know whether to laugh or be embarrassed. Seriously i have heard of people who have been told it was one and it turned out to be the other so have not decked the nursery out in blue and have bought a neutral coloured pushchair. I have bought clothes which should be easy to change in blue and am now cursing myself for having bought just about everything for my daughter in pink. Do people think it's o.k for boys to have pink stuff when they are young e.g Pink Trike?

becaroo Mon 14-Sep-09 14:21:10

I had heard it was only 80% acurate but when I said this to the sonographer at my ds2's 20 week scan she got quite stroppy and said
"well, I can see a penis!" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now