Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does tinned salmon count as an oily fish?

(4 Posts)
VanillaIce Sun 13-Sep-09 17:26:00

Does anyone know if tinned wild red salmon counts as an oily fish? I'm hoping it's good for me to eat it but wondering if I have to limit myself to no more than twice a week, like with other oily fish.

Anyone a nutriotion expert? smile

VanillaIce Sun 13-Sep-09 17:26:37

nutrition even?

MumNWLondon Sun 13-Sep-09 23:25:49

I am not nutrition expert but.... understand risk is pollutants - however oily fish (omega 3) very good for pregnancy. can't see why canned salmon would have less pollutants than other salmon so probably limit applies - interesting though if you read food standards website no point in cutting down in pregnancy because if you were eating more than before it stays in your body for years.

i eat tuna sandwiches for lunch 3 times a week and had hair tested before i got pregnant for toxic metals and it was normal despite the sandwiches, so probably not something to stress about.

i know tinned tuna doesn't count as oily fish (in terms of good omega 3 oils) because oil lost in canning process, but i think canned salmon good source.

yummyspottyblueberry Mon 14-Sep-09 00:02:32

It's the mercury levels. Although Tuna counts Mum NWL, you have to eat 3+ cans a week. Fresh tuna/Swordfish/marlin etc are worse.

Salmon, tinned included is an excellent source Vanilla Ice (and thanks for getting me singing your theme tune all night btw wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now