Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So last night I was in unbearable pain for a couple of hours with what I assume were Braxton Hicks. Can someone reassure me please?

(11 Posts)
flowerybeanbag Sun 13-Sep-09 15:19:17

It started off just getting very uncomfortable with pains in my bump and back, then I couldn't find any position to make it better, then it got worse and worse and I ended up literally writhing and crying in agony for what felt like a very long time.

Really bad back pain, causing me to spasm and writh, and nasty pain across bump as well.

DH was on the verge of calling someone and had it not been for the fact that DS was asleep in bed and I had no idea what we'd do with him I would have been the same.

It then got easier and stopped and I was able to sleep. Today my back aches, probably from the writhing about tbh, but otherwise I am absolutely fine.

Is that just really bad Braxton Hicks and nothing to worry about?

I am 32 weeks btw.

belgo Sun 13-Sep-09 15:22:54

I woudl speak to a midwife if I were you. You need to find out what is happening, and make sure it's not start of prem labour.

It could be a urinary tract infection - that can cause the symptoms that you describe.

flowerybeanbag Sun 13-Sep-09 15:30:29

Really?

Perhaps I'd better try and speak to a midwife, you're right better safe than sorry.

I'm just used to everything being fine, nothing to report whenever I go to an appointment.

deepdarkwood Sun 13-Sep-09 15:32:06

Think I agree with belgo - anything that leaves you writhing in pain ought to be checked out imho.

Sorry fbb smile

ThePhantomPlopper Sun 13-Sep-09 15:36:54

Have you been constipated?

I had similar symptoms to you in my last pregnancy, I was incredibly constipated and it hurt like hell, especially at night for some reason.

You need to speak to a doc or midwife to rule out anything more serious (pre term labour, UTI etc)

flowerybeanbag Sun 13-Sep-09 15:39:29

Not constipated no.

Now I'm panicky. I had almost convinced myself it was nothing because I am fine today, but you're all right I need to check don't I, not put my head in the sand.

belgo Sun 13-Sep-09 15:55:39

Don't panic, it could be nothing, hopefully the midwife will reassure you. A UTI is easily diagnosed and treated.

And if if is the start of something more, then you need to find out.

flowerybeanbag Sun 13-Sep-09 17:31:10

ok thanks all. Will ring someone tomorrow.

Snowfalls108 Sun 13-Sep-09 18:14:59

Hey Flowery, Not very glamourous but I get something similar with trapped wind. Never been constipated (touch wood) but if I have had a fizzy drink or something during the day, I really feel it at night. Seriously seriously painful. I'm currenly 40 weeks but have had this problem since around 30 weeks.

flowerybeanbag Sun 13-Sep-09 19:02:50

Ooh that's interesting Snowfalls. I do drink quite a lot of fizzy, not unusual for me to drink 3-4 cans of something fizzy a day.

I will still ring someone tomorrow but will mention that. Hope it is that, even if it isn't glamorous! Easy to cut back on fizzy if that's it.

Milliemuffin Sun 13-Sep-09 20:46:08

You should cut back on your fizzy drink as it's something I've experienced and read up on (had with DS and have experienced this time round aswell although not as much as I know this time what causes it) and bhicks and similar pains are much worse if you're dehydrated. If I get a pain in the evening I suddenly remember that I've hardly drank anything that day (water/squash - not fizz which just dehydrates you). I bet you've drank some water today and thats probably why you feel better. Hope so anyway xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now