Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Need a bit of advice about REALLY swollen feet and legs

(17 Posts)
dizzytrout Sat 12-Sep-09 21:39:19

I posted a while ago as I was suffering with pitting odema, worrying that I had possible symptoms of pre-eclampsia.
I went to docs and had raised B.P.(not too bad, about 160/90, but mine is usually very low) so got sent to Pregnancy Assessment Unit, where after a couple of hours B.P. went down. No protein in urine (doc had found a trace when I was at surgery), blood test ok, so went home happy and have just had weekly checks with midwife.
Blood pressure has been around the 150/85 mark since, no protein in urine so I think everything's ok in that department.
Only problem is that the swelling in my feet has got so bad that it has spread up my legs and they just ache so much, they are so bad tonight I can hardly move my toes ( I also have swollen hands but midwife is aware of this). I was just wondering if anyone has had simlar experience and could possibly offer some advice?

dizzytrout Sun 13-Sep-09 11:02:05

Anyone?

shreksmissus Sun 13-Sep-09 11:25:47

Message withdrawn

LuluMaman Sun 13-Sep-09 11:31:41

i agree, you should call the midwife as soon as, with the high bp, the sudden increased swelling needs checking.

dizzytrout Sun 13-Sep-09 12:43:19

Do you think it's still as bad if they symptoms come and go? I'm nearly 35 weeks now. I did call her last week when swelling started to get worse and went to my hands, B.P. was around 150/85 then, but as no protein in urine, she said it was fine and just to go for my normal check which isn't until Wed 23rd! They all (midwives) seem to say at the health centre where I go that my B.P. isn't that high, but I've always had really low readings, so I do worry a bit.
Swelling went down again by this morning a bit, but it never really goes down a lot, even with feet up for hours.
I will give them a ring again tomorrow, as I am worried things can get worse really quickly, I can't believe the last midwife I saw said just to come back in 2 weeks at my normal appointment, I feel like a pest when I ring them sometimes, but I have friends that have had very similar situations that have got worse within a couple of days.

LuluMaman Sun 13-Sep-09 12:45:59

PE can ocme on very suddenly , better to be safe than sorry, i would call today, you are hardly going to relax today withouth being checked

bevlin Sun 13-Sep-09 14:22:28

I had the same type of swelling and high blood pressure but no protein either and I was fine in the end. My legs looked like I had elephantitis and my hands and face were princess fiona from shrek! It made walking hard as I couldn't bend my feet and ankles and I had to hold my hands in the air and wiggle my fingers in the morning to get feeling and movement.
They monitered me at the clinic once a week and they will prob do the same with you to make sure pre eclampsia doesn't appear. I went into labour at 37 weeks, I think my body just felt it was going to pop!
Weirdly enough, drinking water is supposed to help flush out the water retention hmm. Walking also helps even though it's hard so try and walk around block every night, even 20 mins does help although you will need to put feet up after and generally try to eat healthy. Saturated fats and sugar will make it worse.
Im 23 weeks with 2nd and already my fingers are like sausages, here we go again!

bevlin Sun 13-Sep-09 14:25:25

Oh just seen your last post. Id ignore silly cow and go back within the week. Of course your BP and urine need monitered!
Doesn't always mean PE though, some of us lucky folk just hold water like balloons when PG.

foxytocin Sun 13-Sep-09 14:33:37

i had this with my first pg OP and with hind sight, my MW should have kept a closer eye on me. I eventually developed severe PE which, had I been more closely monitored would not have been so acute had I had more frequent visits late in my PG.

The key is, if your BP is normally on the low side of normal then 'slightly raised' for most people can already be on the 'high' side for you.

With what I know now, I would request to have my BP and urine checked every week (and maybe bi weekly) to see how things are progressing.

foxytocin Sun 13-Sep-09 14:37:04

the next issue I have with having my feet elevated 'for hours' to see a difference is that it meant lying on my back which is not advised this late in pg. It encourages the baby to turn back to back and I believe It puts the baby on the vena cava (a major vein in the lower abdomen hindering good circulation to guess what, the lower body.)

giggly Sun 13-Sep-09 15:50:04

Hi dizzytrout, I could have written your post myself. I had pe with first pregnancy, and by 35 weeks could not even hold a pen my hands were so badly swollen. I was monitored weekly by mw but I was also 38 which did not help.

The big difference in this pregnancy, 38 weeks is that I have no swelling in my face, but still have swelling in hands and feet. The thing with pe is to get checked if you feel suddenly unwell sometimes with a flashing/ floaters in your eyes.

Although I have high BP and swelling which does not go down overnight and now almost 43 MW not to bothered this time. I have requested extra checks when I have felt unwell, MW would rather you called than worried.My non pregnant BP is around 115/65, now 150/80.
I would not feel as though I was bothering anyone by phoning although I am not sure that they could do anything other than re assure you.

The only relief from pain in hands and feet is to get dh to rub them for about 30 minutes.
Good luck.

daniwalkes Sun 13-Sep-09 21:00:43

Hi, i just wanted to add my bit... when i was 28 weeks i started to swell, at first only in my feet and also had high blood pressure... this got worse over the next 5 weeks and eventually got put on to daily monitering. i had 4 stays in hospital over it and my swelling got so bad when i got to about 35/36 weeks i couldn't even get flipflops on my feet... it was horrible and really depressing.
at 37 weeks my face suddenly swelled up and was diognosed with pre-eclamsia after my blood pressure got up to 190 - 110 and got a +2 protein in my urine test.
I was convinced something was going to happen becuase all the signs were there and i was shocked it took that long to get it sorted! it's depressing being so swollen but as soon as i had my little boy it went after about a week!

The only thing i can suggest is to keep going to your midwife... eventually they will do something about it but it takes AGES! also keeping off your feet and having them elevated as much as possible will help. Hot baths made it alot worse for me but ice packs really helped.

I really hope it gets better for you becuase i know how fistrating it is!

Murtette Mon 14-Sep-09 13:50:22

I had really badly swollen feet/ankles (up as far as knees) until 34th week when I went on mat leave. I was lucky as my BP was normal and I showed no other signs of PE so it was just a question of trying to keep the swelling down. Things I found which helped were:

- sleeping with my feet on at least one and often two cushions (managed to sleep on my side like this);
- wiggling my feet a lot (the type of exercises they recommend that you do on flights);
- massaging the tops of my feet where the toes join your foot;
- reflexology - quite pricey but definitely worth it. You could actually see my feet and legs deflate at the woman worked on them. If you happen to live in London, I'd recommend the lady at Neal's Yard in Clapham Junction.

I agree that it sounds as though you should be being monitored regularly.

Hope this helps!

maygirl Mon 14-Sep-09 16:52:06

Hi,
I didn't have high blood pressure, but found walking up and down in deep water in swimming pool really reduced the swelling. I think the pressure of the water forces the fluid out of the tissues. Pools usually nice and empty during the day whilst on maternity leave. I'd be much more comfortable for a few days after a session. HTH

laurawantsababy Mon 14-Sep-09 17:36:47

I had this with dd. My feet were so swollen the skin started stretching and really hurt when I walked.

The only way I could get them down was to sit with them raised pretty much most of the day. When I was still working I would put them on a box!

I also got dp to massage my feet and ankles with a mint foot cream from Boots which really helped as it cooled them down.

Another thing is to put a cool flannel on them at night.

I like you had a slightly raised bp but no protein.

My swelling didnt go down for a few weeks after having dd but it did get better.

dizzytrout Mon 14-Sep-09 21:39:12

Thank you for all of your posts, I did end up speaking to the midwife this morning and she came to check B.P. etc later on this afternoon. Thankfully B.P. was still stable and no protein. She has suggested I call if anything changes or if I start to feel unwell - other than that, just pop in next week for B.P.check again and try to keep feet elevated for swelling.
I'm still going to keep a really good eye on things, it just sounds so simlar to some other posts I've read about how P.E. develops I think it's better to be safe than sorry.
I'm definately going to try some of your suggestions for the swelling, it has just got worse and worse over the past few days and it's starting to become quite painful.
Thank you again for your advice and suggestions, this has been a godsend to me smile

dizzytrout Mon 14-Sep-09 21:40:00

Thank you for all of your posts, I did end up speaking to the midwife this morning and she came to check B.P. etc later on this afternoon. Thankfully B.P. was still stable and no protein. She has suggested I call if anything changes or if I start to feel unwell - other than that, just pop in next week for B.P.check again and try to keep feet elevated for swelling.
I'm still going to keep a really good eye on things, it just sounds so simlar to some other posts I've read about how P.E. develops I think it's better to be safe than sorry.
I'm definately going to try some of your suggestions for the swelling, it has just got worse and worse over the past few days and it's starting to become quite painful.
Thank you again for your advice and suggestions, this has been a godsend to me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now