Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lying on your back when pregnant

(14 Posts)
Blakey1 Sat 12-Sep-09 20:45:25

Does anyone know why its bad to lie on your back when you are pregnant and when should you stop doing it?

alittleteapot Sat 12-Sep-09 20:55:28

There's a major artery that the baby will put pressure on if you lie on your back - this can make you feel unwell and is also meant to be not so good for the baby. Not sure when you're meant to stop doing it but good to get in the habit quite early ime. The best position is meant to be sleeping on your left as this also helps get the baby into optimum position for birth.

hairtwiddler Sat 12-Sep-09 20:59:58

I'm 30 weeks and try to lie on my side, but often find I've moved onto my back by morning. I think it's supposed to make you feel faint. I can't stay in any position for very long though..

FlouryBap Sat 12-Sep-09 21:03:40

if it makes you feel faint, you will notice. if it doesn't lie away. i have been sleeping on my back in this pregnancy (after lying on my left the entire of the last one and still ending up with a baby lying on the right). I stopped at about 34 weeks coz i thought it was encouraging my baby into a back to back position - but that may all be in my head.

woodhj Fri 18-Sep-09 22:16:54

Any comfy position in pregnancy is a miracle, i have trapped nerve on left hand side so spend half the night trying to get comfy. If your not suppose to lay on your back to long im sure your body will naturally move you in you sleep

TeamEdwardTango Fri 18-Sep-09 22:19:06

Lying on your left also helps with heartburn because the trapdoor in your throat (medical lingo, dontcha know?) opens that way.

Snowfalls108 Fri 18-Sep-09 23:09:20

I've been lying on my side since 20 weeks, following the recommended advice, and wondering if it was of any point.
The other day went to the midwife, she put me on my back on the bed, and I went completely woozy. She said this was because of the artery.
Now I'm making sure that there is a cushion on either side of me in bed so if I do roll onto my back then there is something underneath me.

Trudi2009 Sat 19-Sep-09 01:52:29

It defintely can make you faint but only if you are a little further along in the pregnancy when you are heavier (say after 20 weeks)and lying flat on your back. Propped up with pillows is OK so I've fouund an the doc said that's fine too. I'm having twins and a lot of the girls I've made friends with who are having twins are fainting during their scans just becuase they have to lie on thelr back for longer than with one baby. I definitely get faint when I lie on my back. But if you can get away with it and it doesn't make you dizzy then I would do it. As some one above mentioned... it's impossible to get comfy so I would do it until it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Longtalljosie Sat 19-Sep-09 07:36:57

If it affects you, you'll know about it. It really affected me, I could feel the pressure, it was like I was suffocating

plimple Sat 19-Sep-09 07:49:06

Some people can lie on their backs - I can, but I don't want baby to go back to back with me. Sometimes it's the only way to be comfy though.

I slept on my back most of my pregnancy as that was the only comfy position, if you have a a problem with lying on your back you will know about it quickly and in that case don't do it but otherwise it will be fine.

AngelDog Sat 19-Sep-09 18:40:51

I asked my midwife about when you were suppose to stop lying on your back, as I'd read an NCT book which said not to do it after the first trimester, whereas the NHS book said 'late pregnancy'. She said that it depended how big you got, but probably around 32-33 weeks onwards was the time to try to avoid it. She did say, though, that if you normally sleep on your back, it's fine, and not to worry if you wake up in the night to find you've rolled onto your back. She said that if lying in that position was likely to cause problems, your body would probably wake itself up anyway.

browntrout Sun 20-Sep-09 10:16:58

I remember being on the ward after giving birth and woman across from me said to the nurse, with such an air of longing, 'is it ok to sleep on my back now?'. I knew exactly how she felt. It does make me feel a bit faint tho was worse in first pregnancy than in this one. Left lateral is apparently the preferred position.

Kyte Sun 20-Sep-09 16:19:41

I've just bought a bed backrest from Argos, so that I can sleep propped up on my back because I'm naturally a back sleeper. With a pillow on top it's fab and stops the heartburn too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now