Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

has anyone had to have abdominal surgery during pregnancy?

(5 Posts)
lianne86 Sat 12-Sep-09 18:49:12

Im hoping someone can help put my mind at rest after I had to have surgery to remove several large ovarian cysts. It was just a few days ago when I had the surgery and I am only 16 weeks pregnant. This is my first baby and I had hoped everything would run smoothly but it seems that's not how it's going to be. I am pertrified that the general anesthetic will cause problems for the baby. I have listened to the baby's heartbeat after the op so atleast I know I havent lost the baby but has anyone else had surgery during pregnancy and did their pregnancy go without any futher complications and was the baby fine when it arrived? Thanks for any help.

lizzie9442 Sat 12-Sep-09 18:52:47

Hi, I haven't been through this but i think I will have to when I'm further along in my pregnancy. i have a large cyst that is 10cm in size. How big were your cysts? sorry I can't help but I'm sure everything will be fine especially if you have heard the heart beat since. xxxx

LadyMuck Sat 12-Sep-09 18:53:44

I have had GA during pg (at 14 weeks) without any major complications. I had a small amount of bleeding post-op, but that was due to a cervical stitch that was put in, so not unusual, though damn frightening at the time.

Baby was fine and healthy. No sign of any problems. Presumably you will have your 20-222 week scan in a month or so, so will hopefully get some additional reassurance then?

lianne86 Sat 12-Sep-09 19:05:25

yes should have my scan in about 4 weeks time but it just feels like a long time to wait to find out if everythings ok. Thank you for your reassurance.
They were only aware of one cyst on my left ovary which was about 15cm but when they started surgery they realised i had 2 more smaller one's on my right ovary so they removed 3 in total. I have lost pretty much all of both my ovary's so I dont know whether this might be my only baby. Hope everything goes well for you. x

sjbj Sat 12-Sep-09 20:36:29

My best friend had to have an emergency op (at approx 14 weeks) to remove burst appendix. Her little girl is 5yrs old and perfectly healthy. Hope this gives you some reassurance x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now