Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

has anyone here got experience of measuring big for dates?

(14 Posts)
nameynamerson Sat 12-Sep-09 13:57:50

i'm 36 weeks and measure 43 weeks pg.
is this very unusual and what does it mean (if anything)?

Guitargirl Sat 12-Sep-09 14:05:44

I measured 6 weeks bigger than dates on last pregnancy. DS was quite big baby - 9lb 6oz and 57cm at 38 weeks.

DD (1st baby) was bang on dates for measurement and average size born at 42 weeks.

nameynamerson Sat 12-Sep-09 14:08:48

did you go into labour naturally?

Guitargirl Sat 12-Sep-09 14:22:22

No, I had induction ending in emergency CS with DD so after lots of umming and ahhing and lots of comments from MW about big baby I decided on an elective with DS.

But I know lots of people in RL who had bigger babies and who delivered naturally.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 14:32:16

The most important thing is to check for any change in movements.

I was measuring too big, had a scan and then an emergency section.

Take care.

Deemented Sat 12-Sep-09 17:13:05

i measured about 8 weeks ahead from being about 26 weeks pregnant.

DD was born naturally at just under 40 weeks at 10lb 2oz.

MissisBoot Sat 12-Sep-09 17:23:11

Please ask for a scan - could be something or nothing but better to be safe.

fizzyanddizzy Sat 12-Sep-09 18:33:17

I have measured big for dates for all 3 of my pregnancies and had extra scans and GD tests with each one. My largest baby was 9lb6oz and was the easiest labour of the lot.

As a rule I think the measurements tend to be wildly inaccurate and even the scans are just guess work - with each baby the professionals were estimating them to be at least a couple of pounds heavier than they were.

nameynamerson Sat 12-Sep-09 20:24:08

thank you for all of your responses. i have a scan booked for 2 weeks time. i just want it to hurry up and get here.

Beanigan Sun 13-Sep-09 08:17:43

Hi, I was measuring big on my 1st pregnancy about 6 weeks ahead - so much so that they booked me in for extra scans & GD tests also. I was terrified I was going to have a 12lb baby and lo and behold my DS was 7lb 8oz!!

Likewise a friend of mine had exactly the same experience, so it doesn't necessarily mean a big baby, maybe just a bit more fluid?

Beanigan Sun 13-Sep-09 08:19:02

oh one thing I will say is that my DS was VERY long - can't remember the measurement but when he was born the midwives were guessing him to be 9lb (before he was weighed) - so that may have been something to do with it!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 13-Sep-09 09:37:24

I wouldn't wait 2 weeks.

While I was being scanned to check the size of the baby a serious problem was picked up and he would have died otherwise.

A scan isn't just to see how big the baby is.

If you can't get an earlier scan check movements daily.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 13-Sep-09 09:42:40

I wouldn't wait 2 weeks.

While I was being scanned to check the size of the baby a serious problem was picked up and he would have died otherwise.

A scan isn't just to see how big the baby is.

If you can't get an earlier scan check movements daily.

MissisBoot Sun 13-Sep-09 10:05:07

I agree - don't wait for two weeks - they're not just looking for the size of the baby.

Don't want to give any detail but if friend hadn't had a late scan due to the same reason her baby wouldn't have survived.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now