Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What does the heartbeat look like on a 9 week scan?

(11 Posts)
ThePhantomPlopper Fri 11-Sep-09 17:05:12

Is it noticeable to the untrained eye as a heartbeat, similar to what you'd see on a 12 week scan?

lizzie9442 Fri 11-Sep-09 17:09:28

I would say yes as I had a scan today at 7 weeks and could see the heart beat xx

ThePhantomPlopper Fri 11-Sep-09 17:15:08

Could you really notice it and was it quick?

I had a scan at 9 weeks today, baby didn't move at all, which I expected as it was just a peanut, but I couldn't see the HB until it was pointed out and even then it only seemed to beat twice and really slowly.

Sonographer said the baby was fine though.

With my first two I saw the HB on a 12 week scan and you couldn't miss them.

lizzie9442 Fri 11-Sep-09 17:26:51

Yeah I think this is normal. It gets more obvious the bigger the baby gets. They grow at a dramitic rate so I wouldnt worry about it. If there had been a problem they would have said. Congratulations xx

Neeko Fri 11-Sep-09 21:03:22

I had a scan at 8+6 and I couldn't see the heartbeat until it was pointed out to me.

ThePhantomPlopper Sat 12-Sep-09 09:56:56

Thanks both.

I had a look on youtube and some of the scans looked similar to mine, so I'm not too worried now.

Gibodean Sun 13-Sep-09 13:39:26

Hi all,

Just wondering where you get these scans at 9 weeks. Our hospital (West Middlesex) is making us wait another 4 weeks, and I can't wait that long!

Where's the best and/or cheapest place for a 9 week scan in London ?

Do I have to go private - I can see the 3D scan places also do early scans for about a hundred quid.

Or, can I convince my hospital to do an early scan ?

Or are there some symptoms I can fake at A&E to get them to do a scan ? (OK, I wouldn't really do this - probably...)

hoops997 Sun 13-Sep-09 15:10:46

gibodean most people on here, myself including, have had early scans due to previous miscarriages.....something that no-one in their right mind would want to fake....

Time flies so unless you have any real symptons you will get your scan soon enough.

Gibodean Sun 13-Sep-09 15:31:20

Thanks hoops997, I hope my comment didn't offend.

One concern I have is that according to my calculations, our first scan is only going to happen 2 days before the end of the period in which a nuchal scan is useful. If we're wrong with the date of the pregnancy, or we can't attend that booking, then the nuchal scan might not work...

Anyway, I found a couple of private places which will be able to do it for us. If I can't find a free one, we'll go with that.

ThePhantomPlopper Sun 13-Sep-09 15:32:43

Please don't go faking things in A&E!

We don't usually get scans until 12 weeks here and early scans are offered to people who have had miscarriages or other problems.

My scan was an error and I shouldn't have had it until October (12 weeks), paper work mix up or something and when I phoned to cancel (I don't have any reason for an early scan) they told me to come in anyway and I have to go back in October for a proper 12 week scan.

hoops997 Sun 13-Sep-09 15:47:42

that's fine gibodean, I have my 12 week scan on 21st Sept and it still seems ages away, just getting by on positive thoughts and lots of support from MNers and my family.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now