Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it possible to be pregnant so soon?

(29 Posts)
burstingbug Fri 03-Jun-05 10:42:56

Hi all,
My I am breast feeding my DS who is only 14 and a half weeks old, I had a period 9 weeks ago and I've not had one since.
Is it possible that I can be pregnant again?

aloha Fri 03-Jun-05 10:43:41

If you are having sex and not using contraception, the answer is ALWAYS yes!

Lizzylou Fri 03-Jun-05 10:44:47

I didn't have a period for the whole time I breastfed (61/2mths), and then they took a while to settle down into a proper cycle, may just be your system working itself out, but I would take a test to be sure!

Toothache Fri 03-Jun-05 10:44:51

Distinctly possible.... just as aloha said.

Assuming by the smiley that you wouldn't be too unhappy if you are??

burstingbug Fri 03-Jun-05 10:46:17

No we're not using any contraception, so there is always a chance I guess.
I know that periods can be irregular after birth but I used to be so regular before DS I could set my calendar by them !

hellomama Fri 03-Jun-05 10:46:45

Yep! You are VERY fertile just after having a baby, even if breast feeding (if you are having periods), so like aloha says, if you've been having unprotected sex then you could well be. Your cycle may still be a bit irregular after having the baby and breast feeding can make periods irregular too, but i would deifnitely get a test done to find out for sure ASAP.

burstingbug Fri 03-Jun-05 10:48:26

We would be over the moon to be pregnant again. We are hoping to be pregnant again within the next year.

piglit Fri 03-Jun-05 10:49:02

I had my ds in October and fell pg (whilst b'f) at the very begnning of March when he was 4 months old. So yes it can happen.....

Toothache Fri 03-Jun-05 10:49:14

Burstingbug - You mad woman?!?!?!

Goldfish Fri 03-Jun-05 10:49:42

I got pregnant while breastfeeding, although ds1 was 24 weeks old, and I had not restarted my periods so yes, it is very possible.

Enid Fri 03-Jun-05 10:50:03

also quite likely not to have a period if exclusively breastfed though.

although you can still get pg! (you may have still ovulated)

ovulated?? is that a word. sounds funny.

burstingbug Fri 03-Jun-05 10:58:46

OOOH, kinda excited cos there is the possibility that I might be.
My sister-in-law had her DD a day after me, although she is only BF for 3 weeks, her periods have returned.

Toothache Fri 03-Jun-05 10:59:42

Go get a test then, we'll wait!

>drums fingers impatiently<

Miaou Fri 03-Jun-05 11:00:48

Go on, bb, do a test....

burstingbug Fri 03-Jun-05 11:02:08

If I get my butt into gear I might get one today, If not It'll be tomorrow..... You might need some finger protectors!!!

burstingbug Fri 03-Jun-05 14:24:13

Ok, so call me lazy but I've ordered a few pregnancy tests from the internet, they should be here tomorrow.
I'll post when I find out the result!

tiredemma Fri 03-Jun-05 14:26:49

my aunt found out she was pregnant for the second time at her 6 week check- vile! must of got back on the job straight away eugh.
this was 27 years ago though, both sons are very close.

Nightynight Fri 03-Jun-05 14:33:06

I think thats really cool tiredemma! Wonder if she got some tut tutting from the nurses!

I got told in a disapproving way If you dont organise some contraception Mrs X, youll be back in here this time next year...I was too!

handlemecarefully Fri 03-Jun-05 14:48:20

Good luck burstingbug,

I hope you are preggers since that is what you want...but yep, you are definitely certifiable!

burstingbug Sat 04-Jun-05 09:35:32

Tests arrived in the post this morning but I had just had a wee 5 minutes before they came .
I'll post when I know a result .

burstingbug Sat 04-Jun-05 11:02:33

Well, I've just done the test and it said negative.
At least I know now . Never mind.
I'll test once a month or so until my af shows just in case I get lucky

myermay Sat 04-Jun-05 11:06:30

Message withdrawn

burstingbug Sat 04-Jun-05 11:12:51

It took about 10 months to concieve DS1

KristinaM Sun 05-Jun-05 20:42:59

I Bf Ds fully til he was 6 months old and my periods returned at 7 months. I only had 2 periods, then got pregnant by accident . I had assumed that the combination of being very very old, rarely BD and using contraception would be enough.....

But we are very pleased now we have got over the shock

Dh is going for the snip soon. He doesn't know it yet..........

kama Sun 05-Jun-05 20:46:15

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now