Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Changing hospital halfway through pregnancy...

(6 Posts)
HeadFairy Fri 11-Sep-09 12:50:41

We're halfway through a move at the moment.... we're at my mum and dad's at the moment waiting to complete (sometime around the first week in October) I'm due 27th December, so I'm going to have to change my ante natal care from our old healthcare trust to a new one as we're 20 miles away.

I'm not sure how all this works, do I have to get registered with a new gp first, and continue with my ante natal care at my old address until I'm registered with a new gp? Can someone tell me how they went about doing this please?

FaintlyMacabre Fri 11-Sep-09 12:57:28

We moved when I was 26 weeks. I just registered with a new practice and they booked me into one of their antenatal clinics. I saw the GP and he referred me to the hospital. I had an uncomplicated pregnancy so wasn't having frequent clinic appointments or consultant led care - I suppose that might have made things a little more complicated.

Good luck with the move!

HeadFairy Fri 11-Sep-09 14:34:41

Cheers FM. I guess things might be slightly different for me as I have to see the consultant (in my current hospital) as I had a cs for ds... I'm assuming my new hospital will also want to see me to discuss vbac vs cs for this baby.

Egg Fri 11-Sep-09 14:38:32

We moved when I was 16 weeks pregnant with DTs. I made sure I had my 20-week scan booked at local hospital at old house just in case I couldn't get it sorted in time at local hospital at new house as was told I couldn't get anything booked at new hospital until I was registered at GP, and could not register at GP until we actually moved house (had to take proof of address).

You will obviously be closer to your due date when you move but I imagine you will still get booked in ok. I would try ringing new hospital maybe for a chat.

HeadFairy Fri 11-Sep-09 14:42:04

Thanks Egg... I'm pretty sure I'll end up in East Surrey Hospital, but I guess my first call needs to be to find a new gp, just in case there's a choice, and I can do a bit of research (I've heard not exactly complementary things about East Surrey!)

Murtette Wed 16-Sep-09 01:13:42

I moved 4 weeks ago when I was 32 weeks pregnant. Before the move, I spoke to the GP practice about what I needed to do which was, basically, register with the GP (filled in a form online and took a couple of days but couldn't be done until we were living at our new address), see the GP who would then refer me to the midwife who would then book me in at the hospital. Useful things to find out are a) how far in advance can you make appointments with the GP/MW and b) on what days is the MW available (at this practice, the MW comes to the surgery itself two days a week). They were really helpful and I'm now fully registered etc. In the meantime, just to be on the safe side, I continued to book appointments with the original hospital/GP which I then cancelled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now