Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

7 weeks pregnant with large cyst on ovary??

(13 Posts)
lizzie9442 Fri 11-Sep-09 12:22:26

Hi just back from early scan and baby is doing fine but have a cyst that is 10cm in size on my ovary. They said it can be common in pregnancy to have a cyst but I'm worried as its so big. They took bloods and said if its harmful then they will be in contact in next few days. She said it looks like its probably a cyst though and need to make sure it doesnt get bigger or something will have to be done about it.

Does any one have any advice or been through a similar thing? xx

timmette Fri 11-Sep-09 12:28:43

I have one 6 cm - my gynae says it's very common in pregnancy and they do nothing, unless it causes any pain and then they can remove it without causing any harm to the pregnancy. Whenever I have a scan they have a look - I am 24 weeks now and have had no pain from it at all.

lizzie9442 Fri 11-Sep-09 12:31:31

do you know you have made me feel so much better. I always worry. I have been in no pain with it didn't even know it was there till today. thankyou very much for replying. I just need to think positive xx

50ftQueenie Fri 11-Sep-09 12:33:58

Oh yes indeedie I have been through this. I had an ovarian cyst with both my pregnancies and had two otherwise problem free pregnancies. I had a c-section both times but that was nothing to do with the cyst. I was monitored more because of the cyst but it wasn't really considered a problem. My cysts were bigger than yours too. Mine didn't grow during pregnancy but had to be removed afterwards as they grew after my babies were born. The main concern is that the cyst could twist or rupture but this risk decreases as the baby grows as there is less room for the cyst to move and cause a problem. You will know about it if the cyst twists. It is extremely painful and you would probably need an op to sort it out. Neither of mine twisted and they were huge. If you do have experience sudden intense pain go straight to the hospital. HTH smile Just ask if there is anything you want to know.

timmette Fri 11-Sep-09 12:36:19

No problem - if I remember correctly she said they are caused by pregnancy hormones the same ones that thicken the lining of the womb and they are just fluid filled, quite often they start shrinking after the first trimester and just vanish - I have a scan on Monday so will have a look I forgot to ask last time.

lizzie9442 Fri 11-Sep-09 13:41:23

ok thankyou - let me know how your scan goes

50ftqueenie - thankyou very much for answering, glad you were able to wait until afer you had the baby to have it removed. I hope it doent twist or rupture as it sounds very painful. xx

hettie Fri 11-Sep-09 13:43:26

I had a vanishing one grin! Had a couple of scans and by week 15/16 it had gone.....

lizzie9442 Fri 11-Sep-09 14:12:36

lucky you hettie, do you know what size it was originally? xx

Jayfer Sun 13-Sep-09 13:31:35

My mum had a cyst the size of a grapefruit on her ovary during her first pregnancy and she underwent surgery to remove the ovary at about 20weeks. Both her and the baby (my big sis) were fine. She went on to have two more babies!

By the way, this is my first post and I'm 8/9wks pregnant with my first - its all a bit strange!!

lizzie9442 Mon 14-Sep-09 08:03:00

Jayfer - thankyou very much for the info everything positive about this really helps and its reassuring to know that I will hopefully be ok and go on to have this baby. Congratulations on your pregnancy, mumsnet is a really good site and will give you lots of support through your pregancy. Good luck for the next 7/8 months xx

echops Mon 14-Sep-09 10:13:06

At 8 weeks I went to the Docs complaining of a very tender stomach - turns out I had a 9cm cyst which the Doctor said may need to be removed. However at 12 week scan cyst had shrunk to 4cms. Fingers crossed yours shrinks too.

lizzie9442 Mon 14-Sep-09 16:44:56

echops - thankyou for replying, thats really positive, i can't stop worrying that the cyst will effect the baby. i hope mine shrinks to as the thought of having to go through surgery scares me and also the risk to the baby. congratulations on your pregnancy xx

hawesmead5 Tue 15-Sep-09 14:48:40

At 6 weeks my first scan showed a cyst of 17cm. I had it drained (using local anethetic) 5 times while pregnant until i was 20 weeks. This gave time for the baby to grow and take control of the room in my abdomen. The cyst did not disappear but changed shape (something like a walking stick) it ended up being pushed under my ribs by the baby. I gave birth naturally and had the cyst removed surgically 2 months after birth. I now have a very healthy and happy 2 1/2 year old little boy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now