Talk

Advanced search

Newborn clothes - to wash or not to wash?

(17 Posts)
maldivemoment Thu 10-Sep-09 21:27:56

Awaiting the imminent arrival of our bundle of joy! My current dilemma is, should I do as the packaging says and wash ALL our baby's clothes before s/he arrives, or just rip open packaging and dress baby???

As always, thank you all advance.

JRocks Thu 10-Sep-09 21:30:31

wash

Bakersman Thu 10-Sep-09 21:31:24

seconded - wash

oopsacoconut Thu 10-Sep-09 21:31:57

Wash - shops are dirty places and also I am sure they treat new clothes with something during manufacturing that is then washed out.

Meglet Thu 10-Sep-09 21:33:44

I never washed any of my newborn clothes blush, it never occurred to me. They were fine BTW.

SixtyFootDoll Thu 10-Sep-09 21:37:01

I washed mine and used fairy fab cond to make them all soft
they are a bit scratchy when new
loved seeing al the little white vests and babygros on the line grin

plantsitter Thu 10-Sep-09 21:39:52

Yeah I had a really pleasant day washing everything and hanging it up lovingly. As tragic as putting 'pleasant day' and 'lovingly' in the same sentence as 'washing and hanging up' is!

EyeballsintheSky Thu 10-Sep-09 21:41:03

I ironed all the muslins ffs shock

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Thu 10-Sep-09 21:44:27

I always wash everything before wearing it, I did the same for the babies, factories are horrid places I loved seeing them all on the line, all the clothes they owned fitted in one wash smile

TigerFeet Thu 10-Sep-09 21:48:58

With dd I washed and ironed everything weeks in advance blush

This time I have washed everything and shoved it in a drawer, finishing literally hours before EDD grin

So yes to wash, but up to you whether you iron everything and arrange it in lovely neat little piles, sniffing and sighing as you go.

alittleteapot Thu 10-Sep-09 21:53:36

wash and consider extra rinse cycle in case baby is sensitive to powder!

thell Thu 10-Sep-09 22:02:53

I saw this topic come up on another website once - a lady who makes baby carriers said that every few carriers she has to go and wash her hands, because the residue left on the fabric during manufacture would accumulate on her skin and feel horrible.

So yes!
<must remember my vow to always wash all new clothes. oops!>

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 10-Sep-09 22:05:35

Wash - but not all at once. I unwrapped and washed all my newborn baby clothes and when dd arrived at almost 10lb and none of them fit her, I couldn't take any back shock

Toppy Thu 10-Sep-09 22:15:09

Manufacturers add chemicals to all clothes (adult and baby) prior to sale to keep them unwrinkled and neat in the packaging and on the hanger. Often formaldehyde is used to treat clothes that have to be shipped a long way to prevent mildew. Formaldehyde resins have a very sharp odor and can also cause allergic reactions. Definately definatley wash - this is not an urban myth !

KT101 Thu 10-Sep-09 22:16:26

wash - they will be softer

merryandmad Thu 10-Sep-09 22:27:01

Wash also - but I agree with Tillyscoutsmum, dd2 was 10 lb 9oz and non of the newborn clothes fitted her.

We also knew we were expecting a girl with dd1, but after I'd lovingly washed, ironed and hung all her new little pink vests, pink sleepsuits etc on hangers, all I heard was stories about how people found out at the scan they were having a girl/boy and then it turned out they were ended up with the oppostite. All I could think of was all of the pink clothes in the wardrobe.

jaype Thu 10-Sep-09 23:41:38

Wash! My son came out in a horrible t-shirt shaped rash as a result of putting a Mothercare white T straight on him from the packet at 8 weeks old. Don't risk it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now