Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm not too posh to push, but what reasons are there for me to have a natural birth??

(34 Posts)
generalunrest Thu 10-Sep-09 20:14:20

I had a CS with my DD1 who's now 8, and it was such a lovely experience. She was 16 days over the DD and they'd tried to induce me, but she wasn't having any of it so they had to lever her out (don't blame her it was Dec and cold smile). I was calm, she was calm, and I stayed 3 days in hosp which I'm presuming I would have done with a natural birth anyway with her being my first and me not having a clue.

I'm now preg with DD2 and really noticing how the MW/consultant presumes everyone wants a natural birth, and how many people on here are really disappointed if they have to haver a CS, as if it's a failure of some kind.

I admire anyone who would choose the pain over a quick pre-bookable surgical procedure, and it's not that I'm 'too posh to push' (I don't even hold my pinky out when I'm having a cuppa!) but I just don't get it, can anyone enlighten me please?

thisisyesterday Thu 10-Sep-09 20:17:33

it's safer for you and your baby
it does not involve major surgery
you recover quicker after a straightforward vaginal delivery
it gets breastfeeding off to a good start

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 10-Sep-09 20:20:48

I'm quite sure it's a lot better to give birth naturally, as mother nature built your body to do, than it is to be cut open and have your baby removed.

That said, if there are health implications, and it is safer to have a CS, then go for it. There is no sense in taking risks.

You need to do the research behind CS and VBAC and make the right decision for you and your baby. Ignore what everyone else says.

SolidGoldBrass Thu 10-Sep-09 20:23:38

Depends a lot on your body and your PG but my opinion was that, having had uterine surgery about 20 years prior to having DS I wanted him to come out of the normal entrance, thanks. And still feel the same afterwards despite the sore foof and the piles, that was much less lingeringly unpleasant than a cut across the bikini line.

pregnantpeppa Thu 10-Sep-09 20:28:18

I think you were lucky to have a good CS the first time round. I am sure there will be ladies on here who have had both and say that their CS was much worse, although of course natural birth can be worse too. I think if it is a planned and calm experience it is much more likely to be better, but for me, my CS was truly appalling. Inadequate pain relief during the op, agonising pain for about 5 days afterwards (stayed in hosp for 6 days), and I really did feel like it was major surgery which took me a long time to recover from, physically as well as the mental impact. For me it was that all my well laid plans for birth went awry and felt out of control with the section. I had also had a long labour beforehand and that must have impacted on my recovery as I was exhausted. You obviously wouldn't have those factors for a planned section.
If you enjoyed the CS experience I would say go for it again, but remember that no two births are the same, natural or CS so it could be not so pleasant second time round and I would think that there is more potential for things to go wrong with surgery than a natural birth.

PaulDacresCrackWhore Thu 10-Sep-09 20:30:56

Also, the mucous which gets squeezed out of the baby during a vaginal birth doesn't with a CS, so you get a very mucousy baby for a few days which can mean extra posseting and not as much feeding - iirc

browntrout Thu 10-Sep-09 21:28:34

for me, the fact that I was in the shower literally ten minutes after DD was born and driving to see my parents a day later are big factors. I wanted to get going after weeks of feeling slowed down by the bump (had bad SPD). My view is go with whatever is best for you and for the baby at the time but I am 32 weeks pg at the moment and, if at all possible, I want to have a vaginal birth (even though it really really hurts).

PacificDogwood Thu 10-Sep-09 21:35:23

Consider going home to an active toddler with a newborn to look after following CS... that's what swung it for me smile.
Also, amazing rush after VBAC, not so much after CS.
All the other reasons above of course as well. Get all the info, then go for what you feel is right for you.

Allets Thu 10-Sep-09 21:46:19

I am not sure you how you could describe a CS as a "quick pre-bookable surgical procedure"? Surely a more accurate description, would be major, open abdominal surgery?

Vaginal birth is not "more painful" than a CS, sure it hurts, but it's for a finite period of time and once the baby is born the pain goes away. Unlike a CS where the pain only starts after the birth.

Reasons in bullet points:

*Better for baby (the vaginal birth process is designed to assist lung maturation)
*Better for mum (quicker recovery)
*It's an incredible life affirming process, (not to say that a CS isn't) having had three vaginal births, I can truly say that they were the most amazing experiences of my life.

When I was having my DD (not in the UK), I was the only woman out of 9 who had a vaginal birth that particular day. The other ladies on the ward couldn't believe that I was up and about, pushing DD's cot to and from the nursery within 2 hours of her birth.

generalunrest Thu 10-Sep-09 22:15:53

Perhaps I was a bit flippant with the 'quick pre-bookable surgical procedure' it's because we were only in for about 35/40 mins, it just seemed so quick.

By the looks of it I was just incredibly lucky, and don't remember having too much pain or trouble with the CS cut afterwards, although I'm not sure whether this was cos I had it stitched, there were others who had had it stapled and they were having terrible trouble.

Perhaps because of how it worked out for me, it seems like a non-question for my MW/consultant to ask if I'd like a natural birth when in my mind it's going to hurt like hell!!

cory Fri 11-Sep-09 21:31:01

My caesarian was far easier, far less stressful and with far fewer nasty after effects than my vaginal labour, and I would still go for vaginal without a moment's hesitation if I was having another and there was a choice.

Because the risks are greater to me, the risks are greater to the baby; all right so none of them happened last time, but I would still have to base my decision on that. Also, unless I had medical reasons or a really bad emotional hangup about labour, I wouldn't want to take up the time of a surgical team who might be needed for a real emergency elsewhere.

Mybox Fri 11-Sep-09 21:44:01

Quicker recovery time. I had a cs and had to look after a little one & a newborn. Was really hard work never to be able to sit down and actually rest to recover from a major operation. Have also had vbac afterwards and was fabulous to be up & about no problems.

unluckyfriedkitten Fri 11-Sep-09 21:47:58

Gut colonisation is a good reason for a natural birth - there's a reason your vagina is next to everything else down there wink. ....although I have heard that it can be replicated when having a CS (to some extent) by use of wipes.

Umlellala Fri 11-Sep-09 21:53:57

I didn't get it til I gave birth without any drugs shock - not by choice- the second time. I would prob have an epidural (like I did the first time) next time anyway, as IMO it's about getting the baby out happy and healthy, couldn't understand why people would choose a natural birth...

BUT

I came out on SUCH a high, it was amazing. It is what our bodies were designed to do, and my body really did just 'know'. It wasn't scary (once I was in the hospital) but wow.

pregnantpeppa Fri 11-Sep-09 22:11:23

unluckyfriedkitten what is this gut colonisation and what can you do with wipes? Just curious in case I end up having a section next time.

BuckRogers Fri 11-Sep-09 22:16:36

If you really want a CS then go for it but it is neither less painful or safer.

With my first I was up and about within minutes and home 12hours later. So first natural birth doesn't always mean days in hospital.

I cannot imagine going home to care for a toddler after major abdominal surgery. It must be so much harder 2nd time around.

DD1 was breech until the last week and I was literally terrified I'd need a CS. Of course labour hurts but in the main it goes as soon as the baby arrives. And the high.... Oh boy, I cannot begin to descibe it. Amazing!

You could always opt for the vbac and go for a CS if it doesn't work out. Make your own choice but please don't think it strange than they offer you a trial vbac. Sure, you can have a 'good' CS but it's still more risky and it's still major surgery that many (not all) women don't need. A good VB is always going to be a better and safer experience than a good CS.

Just consider all the options before making a decision.

pinkpeony Fri 11-Sep-09 22:58:37

You don't have to go through pain to have a natural birth - you can have an epidural. DS was out in 20 minutes of pushing (he was my first). And the recovery afterwards is much easier than recovering from major surgery. But you have to do what works best for you.

Cheeseismyweakness Fri 11-Sep-09 23:30:34

its what nature intended.
if babies were meant to come out the top you'd have a zip.

busybutterfly Fri 11-Sep-09 23:42:09

Had 4 CS all due to complications - NOT too posh to push! - now have tummy I can't get rid of.
Go natural if you can!!

isittooearlyforgin Fri 11-Sep-09 23:48:51

i second browntrout - you think its going to be really painful... and to be fair it is, but you know (if everything's going right) that its natural and you'll be up and about soon after. Also epidural was fantastic - felt nothing once it was in

thedolly Sat 12-Sep-09 00:02:12

You can be home on the same day.

dal21 Sat 12-Sep-09 06:44:55

I second what Librabiscuits of fortune says. Read up on VBAC vs CS and make your own decision. Raise it with your consultant also - and have a chat with him/ her about pros / cons.

It is a very personal decision. I have decided to go elec cs after having cs with DS. And it is not a case of being too posh to push!

You do have the added bonus of having an 8 year old, and the 8 year old will not be anywhere near as hardwork as a toddler. So the rest post cs should be a tad easier for you.

HTH

spinspinsugar Sat 12-Sep-09 07:27:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CarmenSanDiego Sat 12-Sep-09 08:05:31

Another problem with CS is that the more C-Sections you have, the more scarred your uterus, so you significantly raise the risk of pregnancy complications such as placenta accreta and (rarely) uterine rupture in subsequent pregnancies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now