Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I've just got a letter saying my initial blood sugar test at 12 weeks was slightly elavated, what does that mean?

(5 Posts)
oranges Thu 10-Sep-09 12:32:04

I've been asked to come in for a glucose tolerance test. can anyone help me with what that means?

TOK Thu 10-Sep-09 12:54:21

Hi oranges. High blood sugar could suggest gestastional diabetes, a form of diabetes that some people get when pregnant, then it goes after baby is born. I think people at risk are those who have close relatives with diabetes. In most cases it can be treated with some dietry advice, or in some cases, insulin injections are required. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage until you get the results. Its very early days. I had to have the test done because my dad has diabetes but my results came back negative. The test itself is fine. You have a blood test in the morning, after fasting. You then are given a sugary drink (which lots of people told me was disgusting, but I thought it was fine). You stay for a couple of hours, then they take a blood sample again.
I was able to phone up the same afternoon for the results.
As I said before though, don't get stressed about it, especially if they said it was only slightly elevated.
Hope this helps put your mind at ease! xxx

brightonbleach Fri 11-Sep-09 09:37:46

theres a gestational diabetes thread on here with several of us on it, if you get a positive GD result do come and ask anything you need! fingers crossed you get the all clear though of course.

BiscuitStuffer Fri 11-Sep-09 14:54:09

Had you had anything to eat or drink (other than water) in the hour before your bloods were taken? If so that is probably the reason your sugar levels were higher - it's what happens when we eat!

mosschops30 Fri 11-Sep-09 15:04:11

what was the result do you know?

agree with biscuit, it could have been what you'd eaten that day. They will probably do a fasting glucose and see how you are with that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now