Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Methyldopa for hypertension

(5 Posts)
Dodgybint Thu 10-Sep-09 10:17:43

I've just found out I'm pregnant (7 wks - v. excited but not letting on!) and my GP has advised I need to change my blood pressure medication for the duration.

I've got Graves disease and have been on BP meds & thyroxine for over a year now, but the side effects of Methyldopa look a bit scary to say the least!

I've just started taking them and was wondering if anyone else has any experience (preferably - 'didn't notice a thing, chill out'!) of taking it?

charlJ Thu 10-Sep-09 11:12:58

I had to switch my BP meds to Methyldopa when we started trying for a baby.

I found apart from being a bit tired for the first few weeks I had no side effects whatsoever.

They have just had to change my medication to Labetalol, as no chemists can get hold of Methyldopa in Cardiff at the moment ( some kind of manufacturing issue apparently ).

The Labetalol aren't really agreeing with me at all. My skin feels like it's crawling and taking a bath is very uncomfortable. Also being plagued by nightmares since starting them. Spoke to my consultant yesterday about changing them, however only Methyldopa and Labetalol are safe in pregnancy so I have to wait until I can get the Methyldopa again .

So I had no problems with them and wish I was still on them

JumpingJellyfish Thu 10-Sep-09 11:23:48

I found methyldopa fine, except like charl said it did make me feel pretty tired/sleepy for the first couple of weeks (though might be hard to discern from first trimester tiredness!)- then my body adjusted and didn't feel any side effects. Also like charl I've been on labetalol and found it had more side-effects, especially the crawly skin thing (mainly on my scalp) and also postural hypotension (stand up too quickly = v low BP and feel like fainting). However with both I didn't start until 3rd trimester when these meds were used to help manage pre-eclampsia. Was on methydopa for a while (4 months) post-partum (as it & labetalol are also compatible with breastfeeding) and felt fine on it.

Good luck with the pregnancy!

Dodgybint Thu 10-Sep-09 12:21:43

Massive thanks to you both, you've really set my mind at ease.

Charl - I hope you can get some more soon (the pharmacists seem to have plenty over here in E London) the Labetol side effects don't sound very pleasant at all.

MrsHappy Thu 10-Sep-09 20:24:47

I took methyldopa when pregnant. Re side effects: didn't notice a thing, Chill out!
I suppose it might have made me a bit tired but then I was 36-42 weeks pregnant and so pretty tired generally...
Anyway, I felt ok and it did the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now