Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nasal congestion/sneezing at 15wks - can't sleep - help!!

(8 Posts)
westlondongirl Wed 09-Sep-09 04:13:36

I have had really bad nasal congestion, runny nose & sneezing for 2 weeks now. It tens to be worst in the night & is stopping me sleeping (hence I am writing this at 4am!). I initially thought it was a cold but don't now. I went to a pharmacist & she said I couldn't take anything apart from lockets. I am so tired from it. Does anyone have any tips? Steam makes it worse, in fact it makes me sneeze uncontrollably.

barbiebigpants Wed 09-Sep-09 05:10:04

i have got this too...feels like hayfever doesnt it???

Its a common pregnancy symptom unfortuantly so it could stick around for some time...I put tiger balm on my temples at night and it seems to clear it a bit. I dont know what else to suggest but hopefully someone with wiser words will be along to help shortly x

brightonbleach Wed 09-Sep-09 08:52:52

hmmmm, no wisdom here but I have been stuffed up with running/blocked nose worse at night since early on - 32 weeks now! Have been told some people get it as side effect of pregnancy hormones so looks like we're stuck with it for the duration to me

ReneRusso Wed 09-Sep-09 12:27:24

I believe Olbas oil and Vicks are both ok to use in pregnancy and might help clear your nose. Also propping your head up on extra pillows might help.

AngelaCarleen Wed 09-Sep-09 21:40:41

I've been struggling with nasal congestion for weeks (I think it's a combo of hayfever and pregnancy), I have been using allerclear nasal spray to relieve congestion. It's safe to use during pregnancy and has worked well for me, I'm not sure if it will help with the runny nose though smile x

brightonbleach Thu 10-Sep-09 11:20:57

my consultant told me not to use olbas oil, vicks or any nasal sprays! are we all being told different things all round the country?! hmm

westlondongirl Thu 10-Sep-09 14:55:46

I tried a salt water spray today which I think is similar to the allerclear. It didn't help and actually induced a 5 minute sneezing fit. I am using menthol cough sweets when I am totally blocked but no pharmacy will give anything else. Have a 16wk appointment nxt week so will ask for advice and report back. I managed to sneeze a mouthful of branflakes all over myself this morning....lovely blush

AngelaCarleen Thu 10-Sep-09 22:07:55

Oops, sorry westlondongirl smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now