Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Help getting old antenatal notes

(10 Posts)
horseshoe Thu 02-Jun-05 15:50:42

Can someone help me?

When I had DD1 2 and a half years ago, labour wasn't as expected. (like it's ever)

Anyway cutting a long story short, the placenta came out in bits and lumpy and it really smelt (sorry for TMI) DD had to stay in hospital for a week of antibiotics and I'm sure I was told it was because I waters had possibly broken more than 24 hours before causing an infection.

Now i know I'm a bit slow on the uptake but I kind of accepted that explanation and went on with things. However I always knew that my waters didn't go 24 hours early as they went with a pop 18 hours before. I felt it go with my first contraction and oh my gosh did it hurt (TMI)

Anyway now I'm thinking I probably had a longer term infetion and have tried to obtain my old notes. My doctors have changed and they dont hold antenatal notes. Does anyone know if the hospital does???

I'm pregnant again and thinking what if especially in light of recent postings.

kama Thu 02-Jun-05 16:05:30

Message withdrawn

fairydust Thu 02-Jun-05 16:09:08

if you phone the hospital that you had your dd at and ask for the "patients record department" and ask them how you go about obtaining you medical notes they should be able to help.

I had to obtain dd's and was told to write to the patients records department - a word of warning they can charge for these - anything up to £50
good luck obtaining them.

cori Thu 02-Jun-05 16:09:35

The hospital will hold your notes.
Call the hospital and ask to speak to 'medical records' They will tell you how to get hold of them.
I had to apply in writing. They also charge for admin costs. Mine were £25.00. It took months for them to do it though, so get on to it right away.

RTKangaMummy Thu 02-Jun-05 16:21:56

Do you know how long they keep them for?

cori Thu 02-Jun-05 18:38:23

I dont know , but would imagine they keep them for quite a long time in case for legal requirements.

piggyinthemiddle Thu 02-Jun-05 22:28:17

The hospital where you received your care will still have your notes and you are entitled to receive copies of these under the Medical Records Act. You need to write to the Medical Records Department at that hopsital and should expect to pay a charge for the retrieval of the notes and photocopying.

Having said that, reading your notes may raise more questions than it answers and you would probably find it more helpful if you contacted the hospital and asked for a meeting with a senior midwife/supervisor of midwives who would go through your notes with you. This is likely to be far more useful as it would give you the opportunity to ask questions and discuss any issues arising. You could still then request copies of your records if you wanted them.

RedZuleika Fri 03-Jun-05 09:49:34

My understanding is that you can now apply for them under the Freedom of Information Act. It should mean that you get them faster than under the Data Protection Act. There's still a charge though, I believe.

mears Fri 03-Jun-05 09:59:59

Are you going to be attending the same hospital?

If you, this pregnancy will be added to your notes. You could ask your midwife to go through your last pregnancy and tell you what happened. As someone has said before, notes are not that easy to decipher at times. It may be better to have someone go through them with you.

If there was an infection isolated they will tell you.

mears Fri 03-Jun-05 10:00:35

Notes are kept for 25 years BTW

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: