Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What weight is 'average' for a newborn?

(45 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 08-Sep-09 16:06:21

I have had a scan (well, had it at 28 wks) and been told that baby is slap bang in the middle of the charts for size, for all three things they look at (length, head, abdomen) and that should he continue to grow at this rate, and stay in the middle he will be a good average sized baby.

I am curious to know roughly what size that might mean, roughly?

Wheelybug Tue 08-Sep-09 16:07:16

I think chartwise its almost 8 lbs.

BerylCole Tue 08-Sep-09 16:08:29

I always think 6lbs-8lbs.

NewbeeMummy Tue 08-Sep-09 16:08:50

I believe 3.5 kgs or 7 ½ pounds is considered normal, but I could be wrong

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 08-Sep-09 16:09:19

wheelybug shock Noooooo.

<gulps>

StayFrosty Tue 08-Sep-09 16:09:48

my dd was bang on the middle line on the graph (sorry, dunno what centile it's called or whatever) and she was a whisker off 8lbs.

docket Tue 08-Sep-09 16:13:46

I think for a boy it's around the 8lb mark. DS was 7.4 and was on the 25th centile.

Wheelybug Tue 08-Sep-09 16:14:17

Yes, am afraid so ! My dd2 was 7 lbs 1oz and that was only 25th centile.

shonaspurtle Tue 08-Sep-09 16:15:25

Ds was 50th centile at 7lbs 14oz

deleting Tue 08-Sep-09 16:16:39

looking at quite a few different websites, the average shown is 7.5lbs

StayFrosty Tue 08-Sep-09 16:17:21

S'not so bad you know, weight is hard to predict anyway, even at the end of pg, and is not necessarily directly related to how easy the birth will be or how you will feel afterwards. I had episiotomy and ventouse, but I didn't feel too bad and healed well.

deleting Tue 08-Sep-09 16:19:43

centile charts start at 2 weeks though because of weight loss etc so it's not a birth weight.

PinkTulips Tue 08-Sep-09 16:20:02

StayFrosty is right you know... my 7lb4 dd was a far harder birth than either of the ds' (8lb10 and 8lb2) and lots of people have similar experiances

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 08-Sep-09 16:21:43

stayfrosty not so bad hmm shock.

DD was 5lbs. Which is why I am having growth scans. she got stuck and I needed ventouse, so the thought of 8lbs - that is 3lbs more shock.

DH said though that he thinks DD got stuck because she was small, as she did not have enough gravity so to speak to help her out (she was in the back too) and that this baby will have brute force to help him out grin I hope he is right!

Its not that I want a small baby or anything, but 6lbs would be fine!

pooexplosions Tue 08-Sep-09 16:27:37

8lbs isn't really very big. Mine were 3.5 kilos (7.5 lbs) and 3.7 kilos (8lbs), and they were really very small. This one is on course to be more like 9lbs apparently, but I'm told that bigger babies are often easier for some reason. I know my SIL's biggest baby was by far her easiest.

Seriously though, 8lbs is tiny these days!

StayFrosty Tue 08-Sep-09 16:45:42

Ah Pavlov, you don't know it'll be the same this time, 2nd births are meant to be easier (she says optimistically, wielding an utterly humungous 38 wks today boy bump grin).

I understand why you're stressing if the first time was horrible though, but there's no point getting worried, it'll hurt as much as it hurts on the day whether you spend the next few weeks thinking terrible terrible thoughts or in blissful denial (like me wink). Congratulations!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 08-Sep-09 16:47:56

stayfrosty the birth was surprisingly ok, til the ventouse, when apparantly I swore for the first and only time! I just have visions of it hurting a lot more with a bigger baby...

I shall try not to think about it, he is coming out whatever I think eh? grin.

Oh, and good luck yourself, imminent now!

ElectricElephant Tue 08-Sep-09 16:47:56

It's 8lb.

Deemented Tue 08-Sep-09 16:50:34

I seemed to go frm one extreme to the other - DT's 2lb 4oz and 2lb 14oz, and DD 10lb 2oz.

I'm hoping that this one is going to be nice and normal sized!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 08-Sep-09 16:51:55

deemented now they are opposites!! How did you find them both (all three even?)

Deemented Tue 08-Sep-09 16:56:15

DT's - emergency c-section as went into prem labour at 28 weeks and both were breech. Obviously traumatic, but no lasting problems with me.

DD - VBAC - horrible, 3rd degree tear and 30 plus stitches. Was out of action for ages.

This time i'd like a home water birth, but can't see it happening.

glasgowlass Tue 08-Sep-09 16:57:10

My DS was 7lb9oz and was on 50th centile, I know centiles are a PITA though.

My poor wee gran, all 5'1" of her had a 13lb7oz baby, ouchie!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 08-Sep-09 17:00:17

I am hoping for a water birth. I want a home birth too, but DH is panicking about it, as I needed monitoring last time, and ventouse (which I said I might not have needed if at home) and manual removal of placenta (which I told DH I could go to hosp for afterwards if it was necessary again which it won't be). So I am hoping for water birth in hospital.

Were your twins ok after prem birth?

ErikaMaye Tue 08-Sep-09 17:00:31

8lb is avarage??? shock Crumbs. And here's me messuring a week over * gulps *

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 08-Sep-09 17:01:00

glasgowlass shock oh my word! <wipes tears from eyes>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now