Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constant pain for last 4wks. 29wks pg

(8 Posts)
Ninjacat Tue 08-Sep-09 10:16:48

Hi I don't really know why I'm posting. I suppose I just feel sorry for myself but I have had a pain under my right rib and spreading to the top middle of my bump for 4wks now.
I have had tests, scans, bloods etc and nothing seems to be wrong.
Some nights I am in tears it hurts so much. There is a constant pain which is then accompanied by a stabbing pain usually in the evenings.
Has anyone else had similar? I'm starting to think I'm going mad and just making the whole thing up.
I have a consultant appointment on 23rd Sept so holding on until then.

LondonNinja Tue 08-Sep-09 10:34:03

I sympathise! I've had rib pain/stabbing sensations on my left side (near ribs) for a couple of weeks now. I am 34+5. I posted a thread about rib pain and it seems that some of us are just unlucky to suffer with it. I've had to take paracetamol to ease it in the evenings.

Good you are seeing the consultant - hang in there.

Ninjacat Tue 08-Sep-09 10:46:11

Thanks London. Grrr to the pain I say. Apparently I don't have rib pain because its too low down. I said to my dr I felt like I was being torn from the inside and he said it probably was my muscles tearing. Ugh
Hope you find some relief soon. I have been prescribed cocodemol which takes the edge off.

Kingsroadie Tue 08-Sep-09 14:01:07

I have this too. Under the left rib, near the centre. It starts as a dull ache, if I am lucky not until mid morning, and then progresses as the day goes on to be a really sharp stabbing pain at night. I have upper back problems though and it's linked to that (although I hear it can happen to people without these problems in pregnancy - mine has started in the past four or so weeks and am 28 weeks).

Feels like someone has stabbed me through the back/ribs with a spear. It's teribly sore and I can't lie on either side at night really without it feeling like I am all crunched up (and the obvious - that it really hurts!). Have been in tears over this and back pain and not sleeping much at all. Have codine to take for it but don't like to rely on that every night! You have my sympathy - am currently sitting at my desk at work and it's really hurting. I find standing up helps and loosening bra when at home (or taking it off altogether). Also doing backstroke-esque movements of the arms - my chiro has told me to do that - really stretch as much as you can.

Kingsroadie Tue 08-Sep-09 14:02:40

Woops - excuse the spelling/typing mistakes - in a bit of a rush!

Also, forgot to mention that chiro says it's because my right ribs are higher up than my left ribsand they therefore take all the pressure. It's such a bore!

tasjaSAmuminSA Tue 08-Sep-09 15:39:11

Hi there
just wanted to post aswell. I'll be 29weeks on Thursday. I live in South Africa.
On Saturday I had these stomach pain/cramps. Almost felt like contractions but not quite. It started at 5 in the evening. We visited friends and later it was so sore that I wanted to go home. The evening at 11 it got a bit better but then it was these stabbing pains now and then.

The whole of Sundag morning till 3 the afternoon past in a blur for me. I was half asleep and half awake because of the pain. Didn't feel baby move so I called my gyno and he told me to rush to the labour ward.

Luckily I wasn't in labour, but he sayed that I could get pains like this like it felt that I am in labour but I am not. I must just take anti-inflamitories and take it very easy, I'm overdoing it a bit. Otherwise he'll put my on bed-rest.

Ninjacat Tue 08-Sep-09 19:58:27

Thanks for posting Kings and Tas. Sorry to hear you are both in pain but it makes me feel better that I'm not alone.
I think what's really upsetting is that I really want to enjoy this pg and feel a bit of a failure (although baby is fine so should be happy about that).
Dr has also offered to sign me off for rest of pg but just cant bring myself to do that. Marter I know, but just too much unfinished work for that.
Hope this clears up for all of us soon.

Ninjacat Wed 09-Sep-09 17:19:21

Thought I'd update. Just got back from physio and for the first time I have some answers!!!
Apparently my stomach muscles have been stretched so far apart they are tearing from my ribs. OWCH
Have been given some exercises, a very fetching tubey grip and a follow up appointment. Hopefully all will be rectifiable after baby is born.
Fed up with the pain sad but happy to have some answers smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now