Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What can be used for thrush??

(9 Posts)
bubblesincambridge Tue 08-Sep-09 09:19:50

Does anyone know if its OK to use one of those single dose Canestan pessaries or tablet that can be bought over the counter? I'm 22 weeks.

weegiemum Tue 08-Sep-09 09:21:54

I had a canesten pessary at 36 weeks, but that was prescribed by the doc for me.

Not sure - you should check with mw or GP, and of course if it is prescribed then it is free!

clayre Tue 08-Sep-09 09:26:36

i used the pessarys during both my pregnancies but like weegiemum mine were prescribed from doc and midwife

Tiaxx31 Tue 08-Sep-09 09:53:18

My doctor & pharmacy said you can use the canesten cream

LondonNinja Tue 08-Sep-09 10:43:47

Cream and pessary are fine - but check with GP. I've used a pessary twice, as have had thrush a fair bit. Ugh.

LondonNinja Tue 08-Sep-09 10:44:35

PS: Don't take the Canesten tablet! (The oral dose.)

dal21 Tue 08-Sep-09 13:11:35

no to the oral capsule. I got a cream from my GP when I got thrush, but it didnt help to clear it up. I used a few drops of tea tree oil diluted in water twice a day and symptoms cleared up in a matter of days.

it helps if you can go commando also. grin

bevlin Tue 08-Sep-09 13:19:11

I had pessary twice in last PG. This time im eating a 150ml tub of natural yogurt everyday as it is full of good bacteria that keeps it at bay and it seems to be working, no thrush or upset tummy which I had also last time due to high levels of candida in the gut. PG hormones cause all of it so the good bacteria daily will cobat it.
It's such a joy!

mono3 Wed 09-Sep-09 09:55:02

Pharmacy refused to sell me Canestan as I was pregnant. So had to wait for a doctor's appointment for the next day who then prescribed me canestan and I got it at same pharmacy who had refused to sell it to me! I know it is free on prescription but would have been happy to pay to get it a day earlier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now