Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
To induce or not to induce, that is my question....(12 Posts)
As of tomorrow i am 41 weeks with my 1st dc. I am booked for a sweep on Weds, (41+1) and induction appt on Saturday (41+4).
I am not keen on the induction option at all, contractions that go from 0 - 60 do not sound like fun.
has anyone gone past 42 weeks before being induced?
I have a feeling that the baby will come when it is good and ready, is this just wishful thinking?
Am already feeling like an inadequate mother, can't even get the damn thing out.
Any advice gratefully received. (sex, curry, walks and pineapple all tried, oh and horrid raspberry leaf tea)
I was 40+15 with dd1 when I was induced. Labour started when I went in the night before the induction but they still induced me which I was a bit annoyed about.
DS1 and DD2 were also both 2 weeks late but my cycle is 35 days not 28 so they weren't really as overdue as the 'experts' thought.
I was only induced the first time, I had homebirths with the others.
Good luck, I found Chicken Tikka masala helped but it may have been coincidence!
Hi Eleanorgrace, sorry I can't offer any advice about waiting after 42 weeks as I was induced at 39 weeks. Hopefully the sweep will get things going for you.
If you do still need to be induced, the first phase is usually a prostaglandin pessary (gel shoved up against your cervix to get things going) and this can trigger a natural, gradual labour.
If you end up being given an oxytocin drip, this is when you get the extra strong/fast onset of contractions. At our hospital most women are offered an epidural at this stage, I declined the offer (not realising that there was a reason why I was being offered one)....but had one a couple of hours later as I was struggling to cope..
Good Luck, and don't worry your baby will arrive when ready to and then you'll have even more oppurtunities to feel inadequte .
I was induced with dd(no 3) and had oxytocin drip and it was fine. Managed with gas and air and was over quickly. Would choose to be induced again so don't worry about it too much.
I think in your position I would wait and be monitored if everything suggests baby is still doing well in utero. I had an induction with dd3 because she was not doing so well in there but it was very, very quick because I have already had two children - if it's your first dc it will be different imo. Artificial contractions induced via a drip are VERY painful and I would not recommend them. My induction took a very short time with just gel but I would want to avoid the drip at all costs!
I opted to go past 42 weeks with daily monitoring to ensure things were OK. Lost out on my homebirth, but got the easy natural delivery I wanted. Had to have a daily scan and appt at the hopsital for midwives to have a feel and listen to baby to ensure all was OK.
(Their dates were incorrect, based on my 35 day cycle DS was born bang on 42 weeks from conception, not the 18 days over that they thought. )
If it were me, I would avoid induction at all costs, but that's because I have an utter horror of being strapped to a bed and all the other possible interventions. Unless medically neccessary for DC of course.
I was induced twice. DS at 42 weeks - took two days, two pessaries, but nothing else as they couldn't break my waters as head too far down! DD was induced at 40 weeks + 10 days - just had 1 pessary and a sweep at the same time and went into labour a few hours later. If I'd had any more, think I'd have gone for a sweep at about a week late so I might have gone into labour on my own at home. At least I avoided the mad rush to the hospital!
Hi there - not sure how your dr. handles induction but I was induced once w/Potosin (in the States) and it really makes your contractions kick in!!! I was having contractions but I wasn't progressing in terms of my cervix ripening and my water had broken 6 hours earlier so the dr. advised the Potosin was necessary as he didn't want the labor to go too much longer. The one thing I'd recommend is if they induce you, make sure you get the Epidural (or equivalent) as quickly as possible after they start to induce. Like I said, if they induce your contractions will come fast and furious so you'll need all the help you can get! Best of luck and remember you get a nice little present at the end of all your hard work!
I was induced twice and didn't need epidurals for my own pain, though my second labour did end up with a caesarian for ds's sake. Sudden onset of contractions was painful but not unbearably so. Got through my first labour on gas and the TENS so can't have been that bad. I think it's like any other birth: they're all different.
I was induced twice, the first time at 42 weeks was a long but gradual labour. I had an epidural after about 7 hours as I was getting exhausted and from then on it was fine. It was a lovely labour and birth, even though it was long.
The second time my waters broke at 39 weeks so was induced, first with pessary then with drip. The midwife kept upping the dose of the drip. I went from nothing to extremely painful contractions within a couple of hours and ended up with a emergency CS as DS was in some distress.
I would say, if you are induced make it clear that you wish for the lowest dose possible, just to "kick start" things.
An induction need not lead to a terrible, fast birth, my first one was great.
Oh, and I tried EVERYTHING that was recommended to get things going naturally and nothing worked.
Hi there. I have wrote alot about being induced. I was induced with my first Dc, not very nice, very long and drawn out, don't think my body was ready for labour. My 3rd Dc went 21 days over, i had lots of monitering and baby was fine untill i went into labour naturally. I am currently 10 days late and have declined induction, but will go to hospital to have a scan listen to baby ect. I do believe some people carry their babies for longer, and even if i end it being induced(i will wait until i am 21 days over again) i am sure the induciton will go smoother as my body will be more ready.
thanks everyone, i had a sweep yesterday, has not kick started anything yet, another one today and if all else fails induction on saturday. Am actually starting to come round to the idea, i'm not sure how much longer i can be this size! just nervous that all will be ok with dc, at least i will be in the hospital if it does go until saturday!
Join the discussion
Please login first.